Current User/Alert Someone Automation

Hi,

I have an automation that any time a comment is made a contact listed gets an email using alert someone. The issue is the email links to the report but the report is so large it is difficult to then find the comment that was made. Is there a way to make the link or report more defined when they go to it? Or at least open on the row mentioned?

I cannot use a current user filter as then i do not see the full report and as owner and editor I need to see it all.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Thanks for clarifying; you can @mention users from Dynamic View, but only if that user is shared to the underlying source sheet. There currently isn't a way to turn on @mentions through Dynamic View for other users, those comments would need to be written on the source sheet.

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Katherine Camacho

If I'm understanding you correctly, when you receive the alert you click on the sheet link to open up the source of the comment. In this instance, there currently isn't a way to go directly to the comment as you're describing (please provide feedback to our Product Team through this form, here!).

Instead of setting up an alert when the comment is made, would it be possible to adjust your process to include @mentions in the comment itself?

When a user is mentioned in a comment they are automatically subscribed to the thread and receive an email notification. Additionally, you can choose to follow threads by selecting Follow from the menu.

Users can reply to @mentions directly from their email, or they can click "Reply in Smartsheet" which will bring them to the row in the sheet and open up the comments window for that row. (See the Help Article: Conversations.)

You could also Highlight Changes Made to a Sheet to make it obvious for what has changed since you last viewed the sheet.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• This is helpful and will get my gears turning. the main comment stems from a dynamic view which the users are unable to @ in the comments. Is that something I could change?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Thanks for clarifying; you can @mention users from Dynamic View, but only if that user is shared to the underlying source sheet. There currently isn't a way to turn on @mentions through Dynamic View for other users, those comments would need to be written on the source sheet.

• Thank you! That is easy enough to manage!

• Genevieve P.

No problem! 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!