👋 Welcome! Introduce yourself and connect with your peers in Education to receive your industry badge.

Classroom Assignment

Refugio E. Cruz
edited 03/15/24 in Education

Hello,

does anyone have or know of a solution for automatically assigning classroom space ? I have to build a sheet for the automatic assignment of classroom space referencing the registered number of students from another sheet, and keeping in mind the classroom space time availability so as not to overlap courses in the same classroom.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Refugio,

My intuition is that something could be done in Smartsheet to accomplish your intent, but a few more details would be helpful in order to get a better sense of it.

I infer you're looking at determining, once per semester/quarter, where to place classes based on student census per course. Correct that this would be done after registration closes and you have the registrations accumulated into a Sheet A? I assume you also have Sheet B of the classrooms, with min/max headcounts for each.

I would envision Sheet C that summarizes the count for each course, and it gets set up to "talk back and forth" with Sheet B for matches that can be made automatically, and identifies those that may not fit neatly and need to be done manually.

Not positive this can work, but definitely worth looking into.

Troy

Answers

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Refugio,

My intuition is that something could be done in Smartsheet to accomplish your intent, but a few more details would be helpful in order to get a better sense of it.

I infer you're looking at determining, once per semester/quarter, where to place classes based on student census per course. Correct that this would be done after registration closes and you have the registrations accumulated into a Sheet A? I assume you also have Sheet B of the classrooms, with min/max headcounts for each.

I would envision Sheet C that summarizes the count for each course, and it gets set up to "talk back and forth" with Sheet B for matches that can be made automatically, and identifies those that may not fit neatly and need to be done manually.

Not positive this can work, but definitely worth looking into.

Troy

• Hello Troy,

Thank you for responding. Yes, that is more or less what I am looking into doing. My issue is how to automate it all once registration closes and sheet A has the number of students enrolled tallied up. Since, for instance I have one classroom that fits 20 students, I have to assign the same classroom at different times of the day in order to use it for classes with 15-20 students.

I will post if I am successful at automating this process through Smartsheet.

Ref