Filling Columns based on a Selection From Dropdown

I am working on a formula and cannot get it to return correctly, I need to be able to select one of two options in a dropdown. I was using a vlookup and kept getting the N/A for all of them even if the condition was met. I think I missed an additional trigger.

Regions: ABC and XYZ for the example.

Based on which region they choose there will be other columns that need to be given a "N/A"

For example if ABC is selected then the rows specific to XYZ would receive the gray, and vise versa. There is about 20 rows that would need this formula for an undetermined amount of people (the sheet grows).

I could do conditional formatting but my stakeholders would like something a little more obvious which is why I thought of assigning the columns the N/A would be better.

Answers

• Malaina Hudson
    Malaina Hudson ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aimee Peyton-Greene, how are you structuring the matrix where your lookup data is located? From your description, I can't really tell what the lookup criterion is searching for to determine if it's syntax or range definition. Could you share some screen shots to help clarify?

• I had the V-lookup configured in the same page in hidden columns.

I am unable to use screen shots since there is identifying data types in the columns-

Region (dropdown selection of INW or PSR)

I have columns that begin with INW: or PSR: (theres 44 columns that are either going to both or one/the other).

I did delete the formula I was using since it was not working. I haven't been able to find it again.

• This was similar to what I was using

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([INW:COLUMN NAME]@row, [Region Select]:[INW], 2, false), N/A)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!