Approval Work Flow

Hi I am creating a FORM where I need an approval work flow.

I create the approval workflow as follows 1st Approval is for the Department Director. The second approval is for the CFO. The final approval is for the CEO. It works fine.

However I have multiple departments so when I set-up another department director to be the first approval the second to be the CFO, and the final to be the CEO. This process creates a CFO 2nd Approval column and same with the CEO.

When I change to the workflow to the CFO or CEO to the originally approval column it says change in advanced options.

How do I correct this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dan Modglin 

Hope you are fine, when you define the approval you must define the column to save his approval on for example when you select the CFO to approve you need to define the approval column to save his approval in CFO check the following screenshot.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dan Modglin

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

As long as all options are unique, you can also combine everything in one column.

Example

Submitted (Department Director)

Approved (Department Director)

Declined (Department Director)

Submitted (CFO)

Approved (CFO)

Declined (CFO)

And so on...

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dan Modglin
    Answer ✓

Thanks All! This works!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dan Modglin

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sorry but now I have another issue.

I and other directors and I, as well as the CFO and CEO are receiving multiple e-mails on approvals.

Any help given is appreciated!

• Also, approvals and notifications are sent to folks who are not on a specific work flow.

For example I have four director work flows.

Work Flow Director 1's flow goes to Director 1 for approval, then the CFO, then the CEO then a notification is sent back to Director 1 after the CEO approves the request.

Work Flow Director 2's work flow goes to Director 2, CFO, then CEO then a notification sent back to Director two.

And so on for Director 3 and 4.

The Issue: A form for approval is submitted for Director 1. During the process the other directors are:

1. Receiving Approval Requests (even though they are not on Director 1's work flow). AND/OR
    2. Are receiving the notifications once the CEO approves AND/OR
    3. Receiving multiple notification.

Please help!

Dan

• Dan Cisneros
    Dan Cisneros ✭✭
    edited 04/21/21

Dan,

I think I experiencing the same issue that you are for approval work flows. Our org has two different project category types lets call them A and B. Our intakes flow into one sheet that categorizes our project types. I have a specific set of approvers on Project Type A that approve projects. Once the approval has kicked off, it triggers notifications on my work flow for Project type B. Have you found a resolution to this issue since posting?

I am using a condition to filter out by project types. I even tried putting a condition in my work flow for Project Type A to only trigger where project category is equal to A and a separate condition that specifies Project Type is not Equal to Project Type B. It still does not work and my customers are still getting multiple email alerts for both project types regardless of how I configure my conditions in my workflows.

Thank you,

Daniel