Update linkInFromCell via API results in error 4000

Hi,

i'm requesting the API via axios.js with PUT https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/sheets/{sheetId}/rows to update two cells of one row with the following data body:

{

"id": 1234

"cells": [

{

"columnId": 1234,

"value": null,

"linkInFromCell": {

"sheetId": 1234,

"rowId": 1234

},

{

"value": null,

"linkInFromCell": {

"sheetId": 1234,

"rowId": 1234

}

}

]

}

The response data i recieve is an errorCode 4000 with the message "'An unexpected error has occurred. Please contact the Support team at https://help.smartsheet.com/contact for assistance."

Can any one help whats going wrong?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sebastian Jullmann

I checked in with our Support team about this and it looks like you're in discussion with them about the error already, which is great.

If other users are experiencing something similar, the initial suggestion from Support was to check what columns you're attempting to update, and if any of these columns were System Columns, Columns with Data Validation enabled (ex. “restrict to dropdown list values”) or Columns used in Project Settings (Duration, Predecessor, End Date, etc.), since these columns are unable to be edited.

Should this not be the issue, I would recommend responding back to the email from Support with additional screen captures, identifying the data you're looking to add in and what columns these cells are associated with.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sebastian Jullmann

I checked in with our Support team about this and it looks like you're in discussion with them about the error already, which is great.

If other users are experiencing something similar, the initial suggestion from Support was to check what columns you're attempting to update, and if any of these columns were System Columns, Columns with Data Validation enabled (ex. “restrict to dropdown list values”) or Columns used in Project Settings (Duration, Predecessor, End Date, etc.), since these columns are unable to be edited.

Should this not be the issue, I would recommend responding back to the email from Support with additional screen captures, identifying the data you're looking to add in and what columns these cells are associated with.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P

thank you for your and your teams support. That helped. The issue wa the enabled dependencies within the sheets configuration for a duration column. Disabling the dependencies resolved the issue.

Regards

Sebastian

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Sebastian Jullmann

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was, I'm glad you figured it out!