Dynamic View - New Item Submission

Kamille Gaston
Kamille Gaston ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I'm creating a new view in Dynamic View and I have enabled new item submission as well as user can display and add attachments. Unfortunately when actually drafting a new item submission I do not see an option to add an attachment the same way I would in a traditional form PRIOR to submitting the item.

The attachment timing is important because there is automatic workflow built for the new submission that would include any attachments in the update request.

Any workarounds here or settings I am overlooking?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kamille,

Strange!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree, is this strange because you have seen it work differently? If so, can you share how you executed this successfully? I can provide more detail below, but am curious if this is actually working as expected and my only option is to adjust my process. Thanks!

Process: User submits new item with attachment. New item is automatically assigned to the appropriate person. Workflow triggered to send an update request to the assignee letting them know they've been assigned work that is detailed in the attachment.

Settings:

Dynamic View Detail Panel for new item submission not showing attachments or comments until after you hit save:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kamille Gaston

Apologies, I missed your answer.

Unfortunately, you're correct. It's not possible at the moment before the initial submission, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ian Cooper
    Ian Cooper ✭✭✭✭

Add me to the list of people that need this functionality. Why bother having the user create a new record if they can't add attachments and or comments at the time of record creation?

Yes, you could have the user add the record, wait for the record to appear, click on the record and then do it. However, this is not streamlined and it is a process begging for someone to make an error. Accidentally click on the wrong record and add a file? That's too bad, you can't delete the file now.

• Kat Woodham
    Kat Woodham ✭✭✭

I also wish you could just have an Attachment/Comment field available on a new item submission form of a Dynamic View. My current workaround is to not allow submissions via Dynamic View and have the submission via a normal Smartsheet form. Doesn't help with the Comment piece but I can require an attachment (or at least offer it as a field) at least. I usually embed the form (or a link to it) and the Dynamic View into a dashboard for an easier user experience.