How to make the primary column something different?

Hi.

Is there a way to choose a different column in a report as the primary column? I don't want the one Smartsheet chose.

Thanks, SB

Tags:

Best Answer

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/21/21 Answer ✓

There's no way to select another column and make it the primary column (from what I know). The only way to switch a primary column is a work-around:

1. Make an extra column. Leave all rows blank.
    2. Copy your original primary column values and paste them into the extra, new blank column.
    3. Now copy the column you want to be your primary column, and paste its values into the primary column (the column that has the emboldened header).
    4. Delete any extra blank columns and rename column headers as needed.

Not perfect but it works...

Answers

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/21/21 Answer ✓

There's no way to select another column and make it the primary column (from what I know). The only way to switch a primary column is a work-around:

1. Make an extra column. Leave all rows blank.
    2. Copy your original primary column values and paste them into the extra, new blank column.
    3. Now copy the column you want to be your primary column, and paste its values into the primary column (the column that has the emboldened header).
    4. Delete any extra blank columns and rename column headers as needed.

Not perfect but it works...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Lashawnta Barker

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Cody's excellent advice/answer.

What I usually do is concatenate the information that I want to include in the Primary column either by using + or/and using the JOIN function.

Here's an example of a rather advanced one. (I used this in a client solution for seeing more information in the calendar)

=JOIN(COLLECT([Appointment Date]@row:[Customer ID]@row; [Appointment Date]@row:[Customer ID]@row; NOT(ISBLANK(@cell))); " - ")

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks guys. I understand your solution @Andrée Starå . That will be useful in another task.

For now, I'll go with the column switcharoo from @Cody Holmes

SB

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Lashawnta Barker

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Column switcharoo! 🤣

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.