Countifs

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am trying to count the number of "dates" in one column, compared to how many "dates" are not entered in another column. So for example, Column A has 15 dates in it and Column B has 5 dates in them. I'm looking to determine out of the 15, how many don't have a date - which would be 10. Thanks you in advance for your help.

Tony

Best Answer

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I would go about it like this...

=COUNTM([Column A]:[Column A]) - COUNTM([Column B]:[Column B])

Basically, this formula will count all of the non-blanks in column A and subtract them from the total non-blanks in column B. Keep in mind that this will not produce a row-context formula. Your number will be the same for every row. So in your case, if column A has 15 dates and column B has 10, then you would have a 5 repeating for every row in that dataset.

Hope that helps! 👍😎👍

Let me know if you have any issues. If this answers your question, then go ahead and accept it as a solution and give me a vote up!

Answers

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

So I would go about it like this...

=COUNTM([Column A]:[Column A]) - COUNTM([Column B]:[Column B])

Basically, this formula will count all of the non-blanks in column A and subtract them from the total non-blanks in column B. Keep in mind that this will not produce a row-context formula. Your number will be the same for every row. So in your case, if column A has 15 dates and column B has 10, then you would have a 5 repeating for every row in that dataset.

Hope that helps! 👍😎👍

Let me know if you have any issues. If this answers your question, then go ahead and accept it as a solution and give me a vote up!

• Thank-you Cody, that worked perfectly. 😀

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!