IF statement to Output Column Contact List Name

Allen Chin
edited 04/23/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello!

I feel like this is a fairly easy formula, but having issues populating the ACTUAL contact name vs. the TEXT value using an IF statement.

Goal: In this example, when I change the status to phase 1, I would like the Current Assignee cell to populate the contact name. However it is populating the value and not the actual contact.

=IF(Status@row = [Phase 1]@row, "[Phase 1 Contact]@row", IF(Status@row = [Phase 2]@row, "=[Phase 2 Contact]@row", IF(Status@row = [Phase 3]@row, "=[Phase 3 Contact]@row")))

I'm thinking that the IF statement may not be the best when trying to reference a cell contact.

Appreciate any help with this =).

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Adding the quotes around the cell references means it would output EXACTLY what is between the quotes instead of what is in the cell. Try this...

=IF(Status@row = [Phase 1]@row, [Phase 1 Contact]@row, IF(Status@row = [Phase 2]@row, [Phase 2 Contact]@row, IF(Status@row = [Phase 3]@row, [Phase 3 Contact]@row)))

You can also simplify your sheet a little bit by removing the "Phase" columns and just referencing specific test in the Status column. The below will allow you to get rid of the [Phase 1], [Phase 2], and [Phase 3] columns from your sheet.

=IF(Status@row = "Phase 1", [Phase 1 Contact]@row, IF(Status@row = "Phase 2", [Phase 2 Contact]@row, IF(Status@row = "Phase 3", [Phase 3 Contact]@row)))

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!