Automation in Workflows

How can I Request an update to separate person as per the specific data in the form.

For example, we have 4 department named Dept 1, Dept 2, Dept 3, Dept 4 and we have 4 separate managers for each department M1, M2, M3, M4 respectively.

Now, when the form is filled up and in the department section, Dept 1 is selected, than the "request to update" goes to M1, likewise, Dept 2 - M2, Dept 3 - M3 and Dept 4 - M4 and so on.

How can I do it with automation, so that the update request goes to the specific manager only?

thanks in advance.

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Anoop Phago

You should be able to add a filter to your automation. In the automation, you would click "Add a condition to filter rows," then set it to display where Department is one of Dept 1, then enter the M1's email address under Send to specific people.

Above that first filter, you'll see a + button - click on that, then click Add a condition path, and repeat the process for each of the other departments.

Alternately, you could set up a Manager column (set as a contact column) and put a formula in it that looks like this:

=if(department@row="Dept 1","m1@company.com",if(department@row="Dept 2","m2@company.com",if(department@row="Dept 3","m3@company.com",if(department@row="Dept 4","m4@company.com,""))))

Then you wouldn't need to add the filters in; you could just set the automation to send to the Manager contact field.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Heather

• Thanks @Heather D.

I would also like to know, how can I manage the input from the update request.

For instance, I have sent the update request to manager 1 (M1@company.com) and the M1 manager has provided his update in the required field. I want a column named manager's remarks where the input from the manager will show up in my sheet.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Anoop Phago , I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean; maybe I'm oversimplifying this. You could just add a column called Manager's Remarks, then be sure that column is included in the update request.

• Anoop Phago
    Anoop Phago ✭✭
    edited 04/27/21

Thanks @Heather D, how to make sure that the column is included in the update request.

I have a column named Manager's Remarks, but when an manager provides his feedbacks than its not recorded in the sheet. I think I am missing something to indicate that the remarks are to be included into the sheets.

To make it more clear, when there is an "Request an Approval" in the condition and the "SAVE RESPONSE IN" appears but when I select the "Update for request", than the "save response in" does not appears. So now how can I save the response or the feedback of the manager in the specific column.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Anoop Phago , here are screenshots of one of my update request automations:

Click on "includes (#) fields"

Then check the boxes for the columns you want to be updated.

If you send an approval request instead of an update request, they won't have the ability to make comments (without creating another automation). They'll only be able to approve/deny.

If you want to send screenshots of your automation with any sensitive data blocked out, that may be helpful to troubleshoot.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!