Filtering Columns in Reports

I have a master sheet which has data pertaining to different departments. From this master sheet, I'd like to show only the information relevant to a department to that department, and none of the other data.

1) How do I restrict the datas in the columns that have to be shown

2) If out of 4 child rows, 3 pertain to one department and 1 pertains to another, how do i only show them the relevant information

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @mg3245

Hope you are fine, the best way is to use the Dynamic View App

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @mg3245

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option would be to use cross-sheet formulas for individual sheets that they can view.
    • There is also the option of structuring it in a Dashboard.

What Smartsheet plan do you have?

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mg3245
    mg3245 ✭✭

I am on the Business plan, so Dynamic view is not available to me unfortunately.

Structuring it in a Dashboard would only allow them to see a top level view of the data. Could you further elaborate on cross sheet formulas for individual departments. I'd like to use the cross sheet formula to copy rows entirely from 1-5 from Sheet 1 (Main Sheet) to Sheet 2(Department Sheet). V-lookup would not be an option since there is no reference value to look up against.

A question that arises here is, although cross sheet formula's would work for the data points in the columns, how do i get the attachment from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2.. Crucial to my business requirement.

• Jen Lange
    Jen Lange ✭✭✭✭✭

@mg3245 , do you have access to WorkApps in the Business Plan?

I don't have direct experience using them myself yet. It's on my plate for as soon as I have some "play time". However, based on a recent webinar, the Smartsheet user could be assigned a role in the WorkApp that would dynamically tailor the visible content based on the setup of the corresponding role permissions.

https://www.smartsheet.com/platform/workapps

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jen Lange

Unfortunately, WorkApps is only available from Enterprise and up.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!