Data Mesh Config Not Updating When New Fields Added from Source Report

Hi -- I set up a data mesh initially with 6 fields from the source report. Then I decided to edit the config and add more fields to bring it, but it won't let me add them to the target sheet because they don't appear in that dropdown.

Answers

• This published before I meant it to :) but my question is whether this is a bug or expected behavior that I would need to start the config over in this case.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Claire Robinson

It looks like you only have 6 columns currently available in your sheet called "Content Traffic Needs Tracker", is this correct?

Each new sheet created automatically has a standard set of 6 Text/Number columns generated, like so:

If your destination sheet only has the standard 6 columns, you'll need to add in the new columns to the destination sheet first (deciding on the column type), before coming back into Data Mesh and mapping the Data Fields to go into that column. Does that make sense?

If you've added the columns into the destination sheet but they don't appear in the Data Mesh config options, try logging out of Data Mesh and logging back in to see if this helps re-fresh the drop-down options.

Let me know if this has worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping to add a question to the original post here: the data mesh I designed is not allowing me to edit / add new fields. Any ideas? Thanks

• Genevieve P.

Hey @Cathy Betzer

The fields need to be created in the source sheets before updating DataMesh (it can't create columns from within the workflow builder). Does that make sense?

If that doesn't help, are you able to provide screen captures, blocking out sensitive data

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, My datamesh configuration will not let me add a new field - so picking an existing one from the source sheet and matching it to an existing one in the target sheet. The whole configuration will not allow editing - I am the owner.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Cathy Betzer

Are you able to provide more information to clarify what you mean when you say it won't allow editing? What area of the edit process is blocking you?

For example, can you see this "Map Sheet Columns" page, with options in the dropdown:

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

So the data mesh once configured will not let me add field 5 or 6 - see above. How do you open in edit mode?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Cathy Betzer

Thank you for the screen capture, this helps a lot! It looks like you're clicking on the name of the Workflow where you can see data about the configuration, versus editing the workflow.

To edit the workflow, you'll want to click on the small gear icon to the right:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I was clicking on the gear.

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

When I select the gear - it only allows #5

• Genevieve P.

Hey @Cathy Betzer

If you're clicking on the gear icon, then you can use the button that says Previous down at the bottom to navigate backwards through the workflow configuration to the Map Sheet Columns tab (shown at the top of the window).

It would be helpful to see a full screen capture of the entire screen and tab, but please block sensitive data. 🙂

• Cathy Betzer
    Cathy Betzer ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my - you are my current BEST FRIEND. There was no explanation about how to do this. The "previous" was grayed out so I assumed it did not work in that window. All better now :)

• Genevieve P.

Haha! Very happy to make a new best friend, I'm so glad I could help and that we were able to get you to the right tab. Thanks for following-up!

Cheers,

Genevieve