Workflow - Reminders with Date Trigger

Hi, here is some background and below the question. I am using a smartsheet to enter basic contract information for multiple vendors that service our company. It's important to track their termination notice due date so we can send out the notices on time if we choose not to renew.

As I add the contract info. to the smartsheet (each contract is on its own row), I have been setting up a reminder per row to be sent out based on the Termination Notice Reminder column.

However, I want to create a workflow that would add a reminder for any rows that have a date in the Termination Notice Reminder column which:

a- currently has no reminder is set.

b- as I enter new rows, I want this reminder to be set as well.

Please help!! I don't want to have to do this manually.. and I haven't been able to come up with the right solution/workflow.😊

MK

Best Answer

• Michael Pappas
    Michael Pappas ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Any workflow that you create using the Automation button that is between File and Forms will apply to all rows. I think there are a few different ways to do this specific workflow.

1. Reminder Workflow that Triggers X Days before Termination Notice Due Date
      1. Create a Reminder Workflow to run When a date is reached
      2. Select Run once
      3. Click the dropdown menu that says On
      4. Scroll up and select how many days before the date
      5. Select Date field
      6. Select Termination Notice Due Date column from the dropdown
      7. This would eliminate the need for a Termination Notice Reminder column and for manually creating reminders.
    2. Reminder Workflow that Triggers on Termination Notice Reminder date
      2. Select Run once
      3. Leave it as On
      4. Select Date field
      5. Select Termination Notice Reminder column from the dropdown
      6. This would eliminate the need for manually creating reminders.
    3. Use Helper Column
      1. Create an extra column called something like "Reminder Scheduled"
      2. I would make it a checkbox, and check the ones for which you manually scheduled reminders.
      3. Create one of the two Reminder Workflows above and add "Reminder Scheduled is unchecked" as a condition.
    4. You could also set up a recurring Reminder that runs daily or weekly that would include all of the Termination Notice Due Dates that are within X number of days. To make them stop appearing on the reminder, you could use a checkbox column like "Done" as a condition of the workflow, so when you send the Notice, you check the box, and it stops reminding you about it.

I hope this helped.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Michelle Kentucky

I hope you're well and safe!

You can use the Workflow feature to automate it instead.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Yes, it would help. I just can't figure out how to set up the workflow. I tried a couple of times...

• Michael Pappas
    Michael Pappas ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Any workflow that you create using the Automation button that is between File and Forms will apply to all rows. I think there are a few different ways to do this specific workflow.

1. Reminder Workflow that Triggers X Days before Termination Notice Due Date
      2. Select Run once
      3. Click the dropdown menu that says On
      4. Scroll up and select how many days before the date
      5. Select Date field
      6. Select Termination Notice Due Date column from the dropdown
      7. This would eliminate the need for a Termination Notice Reminder column and for manually creating reminders.
    2. Reminder Workflow that Triggers on Termination Notice Reminder date
      2. Select Run once
      3. Leave it as On
      4. Select Date field
      5. Select Termination Notice Reminder column from the dropdown
      6. This would eliminate the need for manually creating reminders.
    3. Use Helper Column
      1. Create an extra column called something like "Reminder Scheduled"
      2. I would make it a checkbox, and check the ones for which you manually scheduled reminders.
      3. Create one of the two Reminder Workflows above and add "Reminder Scheduled is unchecked" as a condition.
    4. You could also set up a recurring Reminder that runs daily or weekly that would include all of the Termination Notice Due Dates that are within X number of days. To make them stop appearing on the reminder, you could use a checkbox column like "Done" as a condition of the workflow, so when you send the Notice, you check the box, and it stops reminding you about it.

I hope this helped.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Michelle Kentucky

Excellent!

More info about Workflows:

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks, Michael, for your detailed response. This is what I needed!

I appreciate idea #1. I wanted to know at which point the bell that signifies a reminder shows up on the row. When I see the reminder bell, I know that I finished the task of setting up the reminder. This is what has been vexing me as I played around with creating workflows. I need a way to know that the reminder is set.

I had another question about #3 - If I do this, I think I would need a way to have the check box checked for those rows whose reminders were created via the workflow trigger.. Is that another automated workflow? I guess.. ?

#4 - I need to study a bit more in depth. Re: what you wrote about "to make them stop appearing on the reminder" - Won't the reminder go away after the reminder is sent out? Or it will keep appearing as a newly set reminder if the workflow is a recurring, OH. I think that's what you mean. 😄

THANKS!