Embedded IF(AND(OR Function Help

Hello,

I have three columns in my sheet each with dropdowns including a "Complete" - type answer and a "Not Required". In the fourth column, I am trying to write a formula to show when the row is 'good to go' - such that all three columns read either "Complete" or "Not required".

I've tried to do this by embedding an "OR" statement within an "AND" statement, but I'm sure this is the right logic. I could create three intermediate columns to process this, but I'd rather do it all in one formula if possible.

Here's what I've attempted, where I want it to print "Y" if we are 'good to go' and "N" if not.

=IF(AND(OR([Column1]@row = "Complete", [Column1]@row = "Not Required"), OR([Column2]@row = "Complete", [Column2]@row = "Not Required"), OR([Column3]@row = "Received", [Column3]@row = "Not Required"), "Y", "N"))

If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Your formula should work with only moving one of the closing parenthesis...

=IF(AND(OR([Column1]@row = "Complete", [Column1]@row = "Not Required"), OR([Column2]@row = "Complete", [Column2]@row = "Not Required"), OR([Column3]@row = "Received", [Column3]@row = "Not Required")), "Y", "N")

You closed off the last OR but forgot to close off the AND before moving to the "output if true" portion of the IF.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!