Automation To Alert of Any Field Changes EXCEPT Comments

Hannah Bergh
Hannah Bergh ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I would like to send an alert to someone when any field in the row changes, except comments. How can this be done without having to set an alert for each column individually?

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. To my knowledge, I don't think there is an exclude criteria. However, instead of setting separate alert workflows for each field, depending on how many columns you have, you can add multiple triggers in the same Alert workflow and set the changes to "Any Value" for each field used in the trigger. Not a optimal solution but if your columns are not too many this can be a workaround.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Hannah Bergh

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add a so-called helper column and a Workflow to check a box or similar to indicate a change in the Attachments, and then add that as a condition in the main Workflow.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @SK Thank you, I did start doing that, but I do have quite a few columns and there are 4 separate workflows that it would need to be applied to. I also worry about my own human error of not updating the workflows if a new column is added.

@Andree Quiros Thank you, I have not created a work flow like that before, but I will look into it.

Both: For more information, this question arose because I have 4 admins updating a sheet, each assigned specific rows for which they are responsible. I added a "modified by" column so that I can alert them if someone, except for themselves, has made an edit to their row so they have full visibility of these items they are owners for without being bombarded with alerts re their own updates. However, the comments do not update the modified by column, so therefore they are receiving alerts about their own comments.