More customizable/specific sharing options

Grant Herring
Grant Herring ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello all, I'm new to Smartsheet and am discovering the limitations when it comes to sharing. First, I'm surprised that sharing folders isn't possible. I understand that Workspaces are intended to make up for this but I guess what I'm lacking is the ability to choose specifically what I share within a workspace.

What I'm trying to do is share only the forward facing sheets that folks need to interact with, while keeping certain "backend" sheets (metrics & the like) hidden for the sake of preventing clutter. Also, I'd like to be able to share certain parts of a project with individuals, based on their department.

While there are some possible work arounds for this when managing an individual project (using multiple workspaces and folders that live outside of those workspaces), there doesn't seem to be any work around if you're using control center to replicate project templates. As best I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate who sees what when you create a new project via control center. Anyone with permissions to that control center project is able to see every sheet, report, and dashboard.

First, am I incorrect about this all-or-nothing situation in control center? Second, is anyone aware of potential workarounds or rumblings of solutions coming down the pike?

Thanks for your time.

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Grant Herring

I hope you're well and safe!

You can select who should have access to what in Control Center more granular as needed.

Sharing

Enter the names or email addresses of those you want to share the project with.

Certain people may already be shared to your project.

• If your team already has access to the workspace, you don’t need to share the project again. 
    • Program Leads are shared by default
    • Project Creator is shared by default
    • Additional users and groups may appear by default if configured in the Blueprint (More on Blueprints here)

NOTE: You can limit access to specific templates. For example, you may want a "budget" template to be seen only by the financial planner on your team. To share a template with specific team members, fill in User or Group and Permissions, and then start typing the template name. The field will autocomplete with the optional template name.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Grant Herring

I hope you're well and safe!

You can select who should have access to what in Control Center more granular as needed.

Sharing

Enter the names or email addresses of those you want to share the project with.

Certain people may already be shared to your project.

• If your team already has access to the workspace, you don’t need to share the project again. 
    • Program Leads are shared by default
    • Project Creator is shared by default
    • Additional users and groups may appear by default if configured in the Blueprint (More on Blueprints here)

NOTE: You can limit access to specific templates. For example, you may want a "budget" template to be seen only by the financial planner on your team. To share a template with specific team members, fill in User or Group and Permissions, and then start typing the template name. The field will autocomplete with the optional template name.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå

I think that will do it! I'm just learning the ropes of control center and didn't quite understand the purpose of that specific section. That makes perfect sense though!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Grant Herring

Excellent!

Easy to miss!

You're more than welcome!