including is not blank in a function

Hi Wizards! I have a function to look for duplicate last names in a sheet; however, the cells will be blank as we start the project...it is returning "duplicate" in all of the blank cells which I don't want:

=IF(COUNTIFS([LAST NAME]:[LAST NAME], [LAST NAME]@row) > 1, "Duplicate")

I've tried to include IF([LAST NAME]<>""(rest of formula) but that is not working ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Best Answers

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @DHR Temp Assignment Team 

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to a column format formula:

=IF(ISBLANK([LAST NAME]@row), "", IF(COUNTIFS([LAST NAME]:[LAST NAME], [LAST NAME]@row) > 1, "Duplicate"))

the following screen shot shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

Bassam's nested IF() statement will work.

However, since you're already using COUNTIFS() which lets you use multiple criteria, why not add a second criterion to what you already have there, especially since you've already identified it?

Given, you don't want to count blanks, your criterion [LAST NAME]@row <>"" is correct . Now all you need is the second range which happens to be the same [LAST NAME]:[LAST NAME].

The format for COUNTIFS() is COUNTIFS(range1, criterion1, range2, criterion2, range_N, criterion_N).

Your revised formula would be...

=IF(COUNTIFS([LAST NAME]:[LAST NAME],[LAST NAME]@row,[LAST NAME]:[LAST NAME],[LAST NAME]@row<>"" )>1,"Duplicate")

• DHR Temp Assignment Team
    DHR Temp Assignment Team ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi thank you - this is great - i now need to look at the last name and first name; is it possible to have the range last name: first name and it will look at both columns to see if there are duplicates ?

Jon Doe (Duplicate)

Kathy B

Jon

Jon Doe (Duplicate

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @DHR Temp Assignment Team

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

• Add a so-called helper column (I named mine Join) to join together the First and Last Names.
    =[First Name]@row + [Last Name]@row

• Add the following formula to the Duplicate Check column.
    =IF(COUNTIFS(Join:Join, Join@row, Join:Join, <>"") > 1, "Duplicate")

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• DHR Temp Assignment Team
    DHR Temp Assignment Team ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

awesome, worked like a charm!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DHR Temp Assignment Team

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!