Date Regenerating

Hello, is there a way to have information associated with a date to regenerate Every so often? For Example, we have a sheet that has an expiration date "Designation Expiration" and all the information after that is related to falling within that time period. We would like to have all of that information repopulate Every three years while also sending the information that is currently there to an Archived sheet. So we would need to have current data archived and then a blank sheet presents itself with a new "Designation Expiration" date to be three years later. If that doesn't make sense, I can explain the best I can. I included a snip from the sheet. Thank You.

Best Answer

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be to move the last two columns to an auxiliary sheet, Rows are integral objects from the Automation point of view, that requirement will force you to only copy and not move the rows, and maybe after copy you can "clear" the cells.

the API can do that but that is a complex solution.

Answers

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭

If I understand correctly you are trying to clean a sheet once the expiration date is reached and all the expired information to be moved to a secondary sheet called "archiving", adding the new expiration date3 years later.

if that is correct, you can build an automation to achieve that:

Enddate= Expiration date (you can specify the time of the day)

Sample Sheet= your archiving sheet

you just need to copy the expiration date to all the rows under the same expiration

Let me know if that works for you

If you like this solution please mark it as answer

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding to @Alex Argumedo's suggestion, assuming that your sheet has the row, "Diane McIntyre", set up as Parent and the trainings as Child, you only need to move the Parent row. The Child rows will move along with the Parent.

• Dustin Whitehead
    Dustin Whitehead ✭✭✭✭

Hi Alex and Toufong, so that response is what I was going to do first before entering this request but the employee working on this project wanted to make sure that the formulas we had in the last two columns did not get removed from the original sheet when they went to archive. It is not a column formula as some cells have different formulas that tie to another master sheet and that is what I could not figure out without creating a template first. I will keep trying, thank you all 😊

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My suggestion would be to move the last two columns to an auxiliary sheet, Rows are integral objects from the Automation point of view, that requirement will force you to only copy and not move the rows, and maybe after copy you can "clear" the cells.

the API can do that but that is a complex solution.

• Dustin Whitehead
    Dustin Whitehead ✭✭✭✭

Hi Alex, that's what I thought too, I think I will use that option and see where it takes us, thank you again 😊

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!