Return status of cell (blank vs. full) at today's date.

Hello!

I am trying to use a function that will tell me whether a cell is vacant or full at today's date. We are trying to create a desk booking system for our office, so the end-goal would be to have a vacant/occupied indicator on a SS dashboard.

My test sheet is below:

So, to determine whether Desk 1 is occupied or vacant, I attempted to use the following function in a summary field:

=IF(isblank(INDEX([Date]:[Desk 5],MATCH(Today(),[Date]),[Desk 1])),"Yes","No")

w/ "Yes" being vacant and "No" being occupied

Can someone please tell me where this function is going wrong? I keep getting unparseable errors. Much appreciated :)

Warmly,

Clay

Best Answer

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello,

According to your description, this is all you need

=IF(ISBLANK([Column1]@row), "Yes", "No")

But I'm sure there is more in to it, would you mind to explain what are you trying to achieve with the INDEX part ?

Answers

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello,

According to your description, this is all you need

=IF(ISBLANK([Column1]@row), "Yes", "No")

But I'm sure there is more in to it, would you mind to explain what are you trying to achieve with the INDEX part ?

• Hi, Alex!

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to accomplish this in a summary field, which I believe would have required an index function of some sort to locate the value @ today's date. However, due to other issues in the sheet's structure, I think I will use a helper column w/ your =IF(ISBLANK... function, instead. Thank you!

-Clay

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!