Why can't I update a row with a Form?

Options

I'd like to allow users to update information in a row via a Form. I like the user interface of the Forms and would prefer to keep users away from the spreadsheet. I know about locking information in the spreadsheet and that is not what I want to do. Our spreadsheet has a large number of columns and I want the user experience to be kept simple. Especially when information is updated from a mobile device in the field. We have a unique job number for each row and I would like for the user to select the job number from a drop down list and then add the information required. When they hit the submit button, it would update that information in the appropriate cell. I can do this in Excel using Visual Basic, but I haven't found this functionality in SmartSheet. And no, an update request is not what I want. When I googled this topic, I get page after page after page of people trying to do the same thing, yet no solutions. Will this functionality be added to SmartSheet? Thank you.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Matthew Gaskill

Hope you are fine, Unfortunately, this feature is not currently available. You can submit Smartsheet Product Enhancement Requests using this form.

you can use the reports with filters to do the updates. and minimize the numbers of columns and rows that the users see by adding the current user filter to your reports.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Matthew Gaskill

I hope you're well and safe!

It's possible but quite advanced.

In short.

• We'd use a so-called helper sheet with cross-sheet formulas (VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH) to match the job number and the latest submission to the helper sheet, and that would update the cells in the main sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Matthew Gaskill
    Options

Hi Bassam & Andrée,

Thank you for your quick response. I believe I understand both of your suggestions. However, it would be nice if SmartSheet would build this capability into the system. I have submitted my product enhancement request per your recommendation.

I will try both suggestions and see if I can make one work in the interim until SmartSheet can catch up with this frequent request.

Best regards,

Matthew

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Matthew Gaskill

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Matthew Gaskill 

You are welcome and I will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• VinceA
    VinceA ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

was curious to know if the helper sheet with cross-sheet formulas worked out for you Matthew.