Workflow OR conditions

Hello,

I am creating a workflow for notification (send out alert to my email address) while I have some questions about setting up the condition. It's a sharing sheet that people need to get into and update some fields.

I have

Column: Type - indicates the employee is a new hire or being terminated.

Column: Date (to be) submitted - needs to be filled out with date when Type='Terms'

Column: Status - needs to be filled out by select in dropdown list when Type='New Hire'

What I need to be notified is, when a date hits (say Monday morning),

Condition 1: when the Type = 'Terms' and 'Date (to be) submitted' is blank

Condition 2: when the Type = 'New Hire' and 'Status' is blank

I need Condition 1 & 2 set up at the same layer; however, I can only use "plus +" which I don't want the condition is set up as meet both condition. It's more like "or".

If I select "or" in the same condition box, all the condition in the same box would turn to become "or", but it's also not what I want.

Does anyone know how to set up to meet my requirement?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

The automation sequence I gave you should work for you. You don't need to check for both being true because if either is true you want an alert.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Suz,

To achieve the "or" asd your other criteria to the "otherwise" side. If condition 1 is met it sends the alert. Otherwose, if condition 2 is met it sends the alert.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response!

However, I tried to add condition to Otherwise. It looks like under Otherwise, only "Action" is allowed to be added as criteria. I can't add another condition there. If I was misunderstanding what you said please let me know.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Szu,

Add an alert action and then it will give you the option for criteria. You want to place this after the check for criteria 1. So if 1 isn't true then it looks for criteria 2 to be true.

Understand?

Mark

• Hi Mark,

Is this what you meant?

I don't quite understand since I would like the alert system checking "Terms" & "New Hire" both at the same time. Wouldn't the "Otherwise" make the system check one first and then if the condition is not met, then checking another one?

I appreciate your response!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Szu,

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish.

You want an alert sent if either condition 1 or 2 is met, right? You want 1 alert sent, so if both are true you don't want 2 alerts.

Condition 1: when the Type = 'Terms' and 'Date (to be) submitted' is blank

Condition 2: when the Type = 'New Hire' and 'Status' is blank

The first condition criteria would be for condition 1. The otherwise would be the check for condition 2.

Please help me understand.

Mark

• Hi Mark,

I am a bit of confused...

I would like to check both condition. If any of the condition met, I need notification.

Say,

Condition 1 met, Condition 2 does not --> sent notification

Condition 2 met, Condition 1 does not --> sent notification

Both met --> Sent notification

Both not --> No action

Does it make sense?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

The automation sequence I gave you should work for you. You don't need to check for both being true because if either is true you want an alert.

Mark

• Hi Mark,

This works perfect. Thank you!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for contributing to the community.

Mark