Help Needed

Hello, All.

I need to create a formula where I am summing particular values in the same column wherever that value appears. For example, if 1 appears 5 times in the column, I wish the formula to return 5. However, I also wish this formula to sum up 2 other values in the column if they appear (column value equals that value).

This is the formula I am working with. I keep receiving the error message "INVALID DATA TYPE." Any assistance you can lend would be appreciated.

=COUNTIFS([Project Status]:[Project Status], ="Phase 1", OR([Project Status]:[Project Status], ="Phase 2", [Project Status]:[Project Status], ="Phase 3"))

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gretchen Hansen

Hope you are fine, please try the following

=COUNTIFS([Project Status]:[Project Status], "Phase 1", OR([Project Status]:[Project Status], "Phase 2", [Project Status]:[Project Status], "Phase 3"))

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Thank you Bassam. I cut and pasted this formula in to the field to give it a try. The response returned was #INVALID DATA TYPE. I am wondering if there is another way to designate which fields should be counted.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Gretchen Hansen

Could you please share me as an admin on a copy of your sheet ( after removing any sensitive data ) and I will check it

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Good Morning, Bassam.

I really wish I could grant you such access. This Smartsheet is being created within my company's firewall, so sharing access to external parties is not allowed.

Thank you so much for your offer to help! It is very much appreciated!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!