Newline for Mapping

PM Assist
PM Assist
edited 07/01/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hello!

I have been creating a sheet that pulls data from a hotel database and then maps it into a pdf.

I have been trying to get the sheet to pull as many suitable (in this case, from the same town) hotels as possible.

The only way that I have been able to do this is by using =JOIN(COLLECT({Hotel Database Name Range}, {Hotel Database City Name Range}, [Town]@row), CHAR(10)) and using the delimiter CHAR(10) to create a newline. This doesnt translate to my mapping and I am left with an unreadable PDF.

Is there

a) A better way to create newlines that actually translates to mapping? Every method I have found uses the 'wrap text' feature of smart sheet cells and this seems like it doesn't translate to mapping.

b) A way that I can get my mapping to read this data? The amount of data in each cell varies based on the town that is used to pull the data from the database

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @PM Assist

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

There are also 3rd party options if it won't work in Document Builder. Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic 4th of July weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Volodymyr L
    Volodymyr L ✭✭✭

And how did you solve this problem?

I have this formula in my totall assets cell

=JOIN([Asset name]15:[Asset name]17; CHAR(10))

I want to put list of assets to my PDF document with CHAR(10).. but it works only for smartsheet look. Not for PDF

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!