Using SmartSheets for User Acceptance Testing

i have a bunch of scripts in excel that are for users to test software. so say 64 rows in excel,

how can i load them into excel and create a form out of each of the rows ?

Thanks Tom

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you copy and paste them into Smartsheet, to use the data from the smartsheet row in a form, you will need to use the Update Request feature. This will allow you to select which columns become part of the form and then you can submit the request to a user for them to update/fill out the columns of the row that is already in the sheet.

Update Requests can be manually triggered from the row action menu (dots next to the row number) or from the Automation menu depending on how you want to trigger the request.

Does this help?

Kind regards

Debbie

• thanks Debbie but i would need to have a different sheet for Test ?

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry Tom I don't quite follow your question.

My understanding for the answer above is that you have 64 rows in an Excel spreadsheet that you want to create a form for each row. (Assuming to update the results of the tests on a row by row basis?)

I have assumed you wish to import this Excel sheet into Smartsheet (hence using this forum) and then create a form for each row (I assume test) so that the end users can update their outcomes of the testing?

If this assumption is correct there is just 1 sheet, with 64 rows and the potential for 64 update requests to be sent to 1 or many testers in the format of update requests.

If I have mis-understood what you are aiming for, then I apologise for any confusion!

Does this help?

Kind regards

Debbie

• HI Debbie , i want to send individual tests (a row ) to multiple users certain columns in the form would be navigation, at the end of the form, there would be a pass or fail , this then i want to record

Hope im a little clearer now

Thanks Tom

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tom

The Update Request function allows you to send a row out to someone, if you have a column with Pass/Fail set up as dropdown list values but not populated in the row before the request is sent, then the value will be empty on the form and the user can populate Pass or Fail on the row as appropriate.

So it should work (in theory) as explained above.

Kind regards

Debbie

• so i only see the headers being added to the form, how can i add the content of the row ?

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't an update request - this is a Form. A Form from the forms menu isn't going to work for you as you want to update a row and not create a row. These forms create rows, which means you can't really pre-populate the text boxes... (well you can but not on a row by row basis).

You need to experiment with Update Requests... (Automation menu or Row Action menu)

Kind regards

Debbie

• Tom, Were you able to solve for this? I am looking to do the exact thing you are seeking. Have multiple users comment on multiple test cases. Would love to share ideas that you were able to come up with. candi.amos@mckesson.com if you want to reach out direct.

• Hi Candi , i assigned a uat to person ( a row in the sheet), and then a workflow that sent it in email and the link back was to a Form, they could follow the form to conduct the test and enter the result in the end of the form, which i then built metrics off in power bi, it worked pretty well