Customer now has own Smartsheet account - how to move users from ours to theirs & Sharing workspaces

A customer of ours has purchased their own Smartsheet account. Our account has 1 paid license and ~40 free licenses. All of these individuals are part of groups allowing them access to selected sheets, reports and dashboards. We need to transfer these users to the customer's account while retaining their access to the project workspace on our account.

What is the best method of accomplishing this with the least interruption of their access to the workspace, sheets, reports and dashboards on our account?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rich Stowell

Yes, as long as your System Admin hasn't restricted Groups to only be users in your own account, then the emails will stay in that group even though they are removed from your plan and added to another. There should be no change to your groups.

In regards to your contact column, as long as the contacts are listed as a column value, then there should be no change here either!

If you want to test this, I would suggest testing with just one email address/account first, then check the group, sharing, and forms for that specific user.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Rich Stowell

As long as you make sure the box that says "Remove Sharing Access" is UN-checked when you delete the user from your plan, they will continue to be shared to the same sheets, reports, and workspaces while you make the transition. There should be no disruption to their access at all! This includes if they are in a Group.

However, you will want to make sure that the System Admin for your plan hasn't restricted Groups to only be made up of people who are in your organization's account (see the Security Controls help article).

If Groups are restricted to users in your account, then you will want to go to the workspaces that are shared to the group, re-share it to this specific group and select "Expand Group" in the sharing window. This will share the workspace to each individual email so that they still have access to it when they are no longer a part of your account. Does that make sense? See the bottom bullet point on the Groups help article.

Let me know if you have additional questions and I'd be happy to help further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Rich Stowell
    Rich Stowell ✭✭✭✭✭

Genevieve

Will I still be able to see them in my groups? I also have many of these names in Contact Lists on sheets so there names appear in a Forms Contact entry dropdown - how will that be affected?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rich Stowell

Yes, as long as your System Admin hasn't restricted Groups to only be users in your own account, then the emails will stay in that group even though they are removed from your plan and added to another. There should be no change to your groups.

In regards to your contact column, as long as the contacts are listed as a column value, then there should be no change here either!

If you want to test this, I would suggest testing with just one email address/account first, then check the group, sharing, and forms for that specific user.

Cheers,

Genevieve