Formula for lights

Hi all,

I have a sheet that contains fields for "Preparer Due Date" and "Preparer Status" and am trying to add in the following logic to a formula:

Blue = completed

Green = task not started or in process that are due more than 3 days away

Yellow = task not started or in process that are due within the next 3 days

Gray = task Not Started and not due within the next 3 days

Red = task not started or in process that are past due

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to column format formula:

=IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", "Blue", IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started"
    , [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), "Red", 
    IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY(-3)), "Green", IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", 
    [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row >= TODAY(-3), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY()), "Yellow"))))

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Please try the following formula:

=IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", UNICHAR(128309), 
    IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY(3), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), UNICHAR(128993), IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started", [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128280), 
    IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY()), UNICHAR(128308), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started",[Preparer Status]@row ="in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), 
    UNICHAR(128994))))))

The following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Please try the following formula to populate the yellow :

=IFERROR(IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", UNICHAR(128309), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY(3), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), 
    UNICHAR(128993), IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128280), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY()), 
    UNICHAR(128308), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = 
    "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128994)))))), "") 

PMP Certified

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to column format formula:

=IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", "Blue", IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started"
    , [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), "Red", 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY(-3)), "Green", IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", 
    [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row >= TODAY(-3), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY()), "Yellow"))))

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

• Thank you Bassam. This is great but I need the circle to be gray if the task is not started and not due within the next 3 days. If not started and due in the next 3 days, it should be yellow.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Brennan Montoni 

Unfortunately in smartsheet symbol column you don't have this option to have 5 colored balls. maybe if you select different symbol shape you can have more options.

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brennan Montoni

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

You can use other symbols by using UNICHAR, CHAR, or Emojis.

More info:

A great resource that Paul Newcome put together

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Please try the following formula:

=IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", UNICHAR(128309), 
    IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY(3), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), UNICHAR(128993), IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started", [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128280), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY()), UNICHAR(128308), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started",[Preparer Status]@row ="in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), 
    UNICHAR(128994))))))

The following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

• @Bassam Khalil

Hope all is well!

For some reason it is not populating a circle for this task which is in process and due in 3 days. I'd like to see this appear yellow if possible.

Thanks in advance!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Brennan Montoni 

Please try the following formula to populate the yellow :

=IFERROR(IF([Preparer Status]@row = "completed", UNICHAR(128309), 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row <= TODAY(3), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY()), 
    UNICHAR(128993), IF(AND([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", 
    [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128280), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = 
    "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row < TODAY()), 
    UNICHAR(128308), IF(AND(OR([Preparer Status]@row = "not started", [Preparer Status]@row = 
    "in Process"), [Preparer Due Date]@row > TODAY(3)), UNICHAR(128994)))))), "") 

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!