Conditionnal auto numbering

Hi there, i'm looking the possibility to generate or not a number depending of the value on another column.

For ex, column A : Yes/NO

Colum B autonumbering

If A = Yes, i will have a auto number, if no, the field stays blanck.

Many thanks in advance !

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Insert your system generated auot-number column, then use a text/number column that says

=IF([Column A]@row = "Yes", [Auto-Number]@row)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @emmanuel edon

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you need to have the numbers like 1,2,3, or does it not matter?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• emmanuel edon
    emmanuel edon ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul & Andrée, thanks Paul, it works fine, many thanks, but yes Andrée, i wanted to have an ordering number , is there any solution for that? Thanks again !

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

TO have it going in order without skipping numbers, you should be able to use this...

Insert a text/number column (we will call "Row" for this example) with the following column formula:

=MATCH([Auto-Number]@row, [Auto-Number]:[Auto-Number], 0)

Then in the text number column that outputs the number, change the formula to this...

=IF([Column A]@row = "Yes", COUNTIFS([Column A]:[Column A], @cell = "Yes", Row:Row, @cell <= Row@row))

• emmanuel edon
    emmanuel edon ✭✭✭✭

Hi Paul, many thanks for your answer, but , i do not catch it. Please find a screenshot of what i'm looking for.

The auto numbering in the column "Num Cde SST" is displayed by the column type with auto numbering defined in the properties.

But, i would like to have this number only displayed if the column Nom SST is not empty.

So i created a second column called "Numero CDE SST". In this column, i'm trying to have an ordering number like BDCSST00121-07-08. So i tried your formula but i think i miss something.

Many thanks again for your help !

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!