extract name from email address

Hi there,

I have a created by column that captures the email address : nero.naidoo@angloamerican.com

I want to create a formula that will create a name column that returns Nero Naidoo. I've tried some of the split-to-text formulas suggested and seem to only come up with nero.naidoo. I want to capitalize the "N" and replace the "." with space. any ideas?

Note that the email address may vary I length so I cant use a fixed character number.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/21 Answer ✓

@Nero,

Please try the following:

Add the following columns with the following formulas ( Alll formulas are column format formula):

1- Extracted Name

=IFERROR(LEFT(Email@row, FIND("@", Email@row) - 1), "")

2- Dot Location

=FIND(".", [Extracted Name]@row)

3- Name Len

=LEN([Extracted Name]@row)

4- Formatted Full Name

=UPPER(LEFT([Extracted Name]@row, 1)) + MID([Extracted Name]@row, 2, [Dot Location]@row - 2)
    + " " + UPPER(MID([Extracted Name]@row, [Dot Location]@row + 1, 1)) + MID([Extracted Name]@row
    , [Dot Location]@row + 2, [Name Len]@row - [Dot Location]@row)

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nero

I hope you're well and safe!

Will the email always be in the same format (First.Lastname@domain.com)?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• hi Andree',

yes, that's the standard that my company uses.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/21

Hi @Nero

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula:

the following screenshot shows the result

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• hi @Bassam Khalil ,

thank you for your response. I have tried that. however, I'm looking for a formula that will capitalize the first letter of the name and last name and remove the "." So for the second example, it must return Nero Naidoo, not nero.naidoo

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero

I need yo know each name will contain "." between the First Name and the Last Name?

PMP Certified

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/21 Answer ✓

@Nero,

Please try the following:

Add the following columns with the following formulas ( Alll formulas are column format formula):

1- Extracted Name

2- Dot Location

=FIND(".", [Extracted Name]@row)

3- Name Len

=LEN([Extracted Name]@row)

4- Formatted Full Name

=UPPER(LEFT([Extracted Name]@row, 1)) + MID([Extracted Name]@row, 2, [Dot Location]@row - 2)
    + " " + UPPER(MID([Extracted Name]@row, [Dot Location]@row + 1, 1)) + MID([Extracted Name]@row
    , [Dot Location]@row + 2, [Name Len]@row - [Dot Location]@row)

PMP Certified

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/21

@Nero 

You are welcome and i will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

• @Bassam Khalil,

Feel like I'm taking advantage now, but I do have one more problem I'm struggling with.

I have a workflow that will copy a row to another sheet when the status changes to Re-open. I've done this so that I can count the number of times a ticket gets re-opened after it has been completed (testing quality). This seems to work fine if the ticket has been re-opened once, but when it's re-opened the second time, it seems to create an additional row with the same ticket number instead of updating the status. In this instance, the ticket is re-opened by the requester where the email address is captured through the systems created by the function and does not have shared access to the sheet. they submit a request through a form and re-open through the open update form link.

I have a similar workflow for when the ticket is rejected by a reviewer and it seems to work fine - in this instance the reviewer's email address is entered with a drop-down selection and has shared access to the sheet.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero Naidoo

Could you please share me as an admin on a copy of your sheet after removing any sensitive data and I will check it for you.please stay wake up for my conversation on the shared sheets if you share me.

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero Naidoo

I saw that Bassam answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Regarding the issue with the Workflow.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Bassam Khalil ,

Thank you. I have shared. It's all test data. I've shared the workspace so you can see where it's copying. the other thing I've noticed is that, every time the ticket is re-opened for the 2nd time, it disables the copy row workflow. Let me know if it will be better to collaborate over a call.

• @Andrée Starå ,

Thank you. Bassam did answer and it worked:)

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero Naidoo

Ok, let me check it first then will talk.

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero Naidoo

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!