Updating a cell in a column formula is not supported

Is this really the case? Is there no means of using the API to update the format of a cell that is in a column with a column formula defined?

We're trying to use column formulas, but have automated mechanisms in production that format by row. This error is a problem.

Thank you.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Galen Work

Yes, columns that are set with a column formula are not supported to be updated via the API.

Note that setting the format of a row object or column object through the API sets the baseline format for new or blank cells in that row or column. It does not affect cells that already have a value. Since Column Formulas are set for the entire column, they contain a value even in blank rows. (See: API Formatting)

Can you clarify what formatting you're looking to apply, and how you are doing this?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve!

Thanks so much for the response. Thus far, every response I've received suggests you're right; cells in columns containing column formulas can't be touched by API-driven processes. I'm hoping someone designing column formats thought this through, as that really limits the viability of remote integration.

We aren't setting formats by row or column, but by cell. So while not efficient for row or column formatting, we can, and do, address individual cell formats for various reasons based on remote processes. So turning cells different colors or formats depending on external assessments works fine for cells with existing values, except in the case of cells in column formulas. We haven't discovered the guidelines that would let us touch such a cell and get around the dreaded "errorCode" : 1302,

"message" : "Updating a cell in a column formula is not supported. columnId : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

We're hoping there's something we're missing.

Regards,

Galen

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Galen Work

You're not missing anything. You are correct, cells in columns containing column formulas currently cannot have the format adjusted via the API, even though you can adjust formatting in the UI. I'm unclear if this is by design and expected or if it's a bug, but I will raise this issue with our Product team so they can look into it either way.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful for the Product team to hear from you directly as well, to have your feedback on why you would need to perform this action via API. Please fill out this form here with your experience!

Thank you,

Genevieve

• Was this issue solved ? I have the same issue and I am looking for a work around.

I am trying to use get_column and update_column to remove the formula assigned to the column.

It does not seem to work. :(

Any insight ?

• Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I understand that the Smartsheet Jira Connector currently doesn't support column formulas. I would like to inquire about any plans to introduce this functionality in future updates. Column formulas are a valuable tool for many users, and their inclusion in the Jira integration would significantly enhance its capabilities.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Deimantas

You should be able to map fields from a column formula one-way into Jira, you just won't be able to map it back into Smartsheet because column formulas lock the column to only have the formula in it.