Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Ideas for Multi Department Service Request tool

Tim Meeks
Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

All,

We are currently using Smartsheet as a Help Desk Ticket system for one system, with two developers and two users that submit bug or enhancement requests.  A webform is used to submit the request and email alerts and conditional formatting are used to track the status of the request and notify users when anything changes on the status or the task is complete. Attachments, Discussions and Updates are all used.

We are planning on using SS to take user Service Requests for multiple departments including PC Support, Network Security, Email Admin into one sheet.  The user request may be worked by multiple groups and each group will need to take ownership of the request and provide a status update when their work is completed. We would then like the requestor to be emailed when the work is completed.

We are a state government agency so the use of 3rd party apps such as Zapier or Google apps may be limited due to complicated procurement or security issues. 

Is anybody using SS for multi-Department service requests, bug tracking, or help desk functions?

Would love to hear the alerts, notifications and or conditional formatting you are using.

thanks,

Tim

Comments

• HI Russ - not sure how to do this but we have the same need so I will be following the discussion.  So looking for a multi-department service request solution to support 900 users

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tim, 

If you have some kind of job status indicator column like maybe a checkbox to be checked when the task is complete?  You could have the person who takes ownership of the task email the row to the user which will have the checkbox checked stating the task is complete (this option is for someone who the sheet is not shared).

If the sheet is shared you can use the reminder that are on the leave sheet you and I have been emailing about.  For example:

If you want to send a status update via reminder you will need to put the next day’s date in the completed column.  The reminder unfortunately does not get sent right away.  They are usually sent in the middle of the night.

The reminders are a set item you only have to set them up once. You would not have to fill one out every time.  As soon as someone enters the next day’s date in the approval column Smartsheet automatically generates an email to the email address to the person who's email is in the contact column. Your reminder screen would look like this:

Reminder Snapshot.png

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/02/15

Stephanie,

thanks for replying. I'm going to try the reminder function.  will let you know.

thanks again!

Tim

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tim,

I am going to be setting up something similar at my company.  My design is going to be as follows:

• --One Form for All projects
    • --A dropdown list with each project listed(auto population would be great, but I dont think I can scan workspaces and folders to generate list (at least not until I learn the API better)
    • --Entries submitted will all go to one Smartsheet spreadsheet
    • --I will Create one Smartsheet report for each project that will contain only issues for that project.  Issues will be editable from the report or spreadsheet.

Would this format solve your multi-department requirement? 

-Brett

• Tim,

I believe your scenario can be solved by using Azuqua, an integration partner of Smartsheet. I work for Azuqua and using our Monitored Workflows you can create a system of workflows to trigger based on specific actions. 

The entire scenario from the webform submission to conditional notifications based on particular parameters, whether that be changes to the row or the task has been marked as complete, all will work. We have built out this solution for other customers to enable this scenario inside of Smartsheet. 

If you want to learn more please visit our app listing at Smartsheet here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/azuqua

Please feel free to follow up with any questions.

-Patrick

This discussion has been closed.