Automation Question

Good day everyone! new to smartshets and hoping to get some help.

Is there a way to have an automation that will recognize multiple values (ie: ABC = Gabby, BCD= Debbie) or do I have to create an individual automation for each value?

Best Answer

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Gabby M. set the automation so that the trigger is - When Chain Code changes to any value, run workflow when triggered.

Then set a condition for each chain code (ie when Chain Code is one of BAY). Once that is done have the action Change Cell Value to update the value in Brand to the corresponding value. So from your screen shot you will have 16 condition paths for this to work.

Answers

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gabby M.

If I understand your questions correctly there are two ways to enter ABC and have Smartsheet change it to Gabby.

First is to use the Change Cell Value Workflow and set up the Conditions to look for specific values which will be updated to the new value.

Second is to have a helper sheet to use in an INDEX/MATCH formula. You would index the new value (Gabby) and would match ABC from the original sheet with ABC from the helper sheet.

If this is not what you are looking to do, please upload some screenshots showing what you are tying to accomplish.

• @Garrett Henke Thanks for the information. I tried doing a change cell, but it looked like I can only pick one item at a time or I truly don't understand the workflows well enough.

I was able to create an automation for 1 item, but I cannot get the automation to do more than 1 thing. I have attached pictures and hope you can guide me on how to add additional conditions (maybe) or a different way to get this automation to work.

In essence, I need the chain code to change the cell value under the brand column, but I would like to have only 1 automation instead of single automations.

Thanks for your help!

to change the cell to the full brand name

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Gabby M. set the automation so that the trigger is - When Chain Code changes to any value, run workflow when triggered.

Then set a condition for each chain code (ie when Chain Code is one of BAY). Once that is done have the action Change Cell Value to update the value in Brand to the corresponding value. So from your screen shot you will have 16 condition paths for this to work.

• @Garrett Henke Thank you for your help! This worked out perfectly