How to set the reply-to on notification emails?

Hi,

When the automation send notification emails, most of the time the reply-to is the sheet owner but sometimes it is the person who modified the sheet. Looking at the documentation, I found this article:

Overview of Automated Notifications Sent via Smartsheet | Smartsheet Learning Center

The article says this:

"In most cases, the name you’ll see in the message will be the name of the person who triggered the change—that is, the person who made a change to the sheet that caused the notification to be sent to you. In all other cases, the name used is the name of the person who owns the sheet (the sheet owner)."

It doesn't explain though, how Smartsheet decides if the name in the message will be who triggered the change or the sheet owner.

I wanted all the emails (or at least most of them) to show the name of the person who triggered the change but what is happening with the sheets is the opposite, most of the emails show the name of the owner and most of the time the owner didn't change anything in the sheet.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bruno.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @DarumaTech

The details for when it will show the owner versus when it will show the user who triggered the change are outlined in the Release Note for this feature, see: Personalized Sender Name and Reply-To for Notification Emails

When an alert is triggered by a single user’s change(s) in your sheet, that user will appear as the sender name for the notification email.

But the sheet owner will appear as the sender name when the notification email delivers:

• An alert triggered by multiple users’ changes in your sheet
    • A reminder (a time-based alert)
    • An update request
    • An approval request

What are your current automations?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @DarumaTech

The details for when it will show the owner versus when it will show the user who triggered the change are outlined in the Release Note for this feature, see: Personalized Sender Name and Reply-To for Notification Emails

When an alert is triggered by a single user’s change(s) in your sheet, that user will appear as the sender name for the notification email.

But the sheet owner will appear as the sender name when the notification email delivers:

• An alert triggered by multiple users’ changes in your sheet
    • A reminder (a time-based alert)
    • An update request
    • An approval request

What are your current automations?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for the explanation!

The automation I have is to alert if anything changes on the sheet but it is set to run daily. I guess this is why most of the time the sheet owner is the sender, because during the day multiple people change the sheet but the automation send the email only once a day.

If I change the workflow from daily to when triggered it will show always the person who changed the sheet.

Regards,

Bruno.

• Genevieve P.

Hi Bruno,

Yes, you've got it! If you set the workflow to run when triggered, then it should show who triggered the workflow instead of the sheet owner.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Michael Halvey
    Michael Halvey ✭✭✭✭

I have a similar question - however what I'm looking for is more than 1 person to get the Reply-To email.

My alert goes out once a day if criteria is met and it always comes from me due to what was discussed in above posts. However what I'm looking to do is have this specific daily alert have a Reply-To a reflector email account so 4 people get the email response instead of just me.

My current workaround, that has yet to work with an outside vendor, is saying in the body of the message "If you have any issues with today's order, please add example@email.com to your response so the entire team can review your questions"

Is there any way to get a reflector email to be the Reply-To email for a specific automation?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Michael Halvey

There currently can only be one person as the "reply to" email from a workflow. I would say that your suggestion of directing users to add specific emails in the CC of their response is a good way to go.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• A Rose
    A Rose ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a similar question,

I'm the sheet owner, I have a when-triggered alert - that I don't want to receive replies - even when multiple users update the sheet simultaneously.

This is a common issue - and should have a fix, I'm just unaware of any.

Thank you!