Multiple Update Requests In One Email

Jack C
Jack C
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Greetings - 

I currently have employees getting multiple update requests in one email. Please see the attached screenshot for an example. I am needing these to come thru as individual emails and not multiple update requests grouped into one email. Am I missing something in the settings?

Hoping someone can help me sort this out.. Many thanks! 

multiple update request - 1 email.PNG

Comments

• Jack C
    Jack C
    edited 09/03/19

Hello Paul.

Yes the trigger is set to right away.. Triggers from multiple rows can happen seconds from each other however for the same person. Could this be the cause of grouped update requests in one email?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This would be the cause. If multiple Update Requests are sent to the same person at the same time, they will be included in the same email.

I am not sure of some kind of workaround either other than slowing down how often rows are triggering the Request to be sent which is probably rather impractical.

• Regork
    Regork ✭✭

We are have the same problem with multiple update requests in the same email. Has this been resolved?

• I'm curious if this has been resolved yet since I have the opposite issue: I have a sheet with timed update requests (daily at 5 pm) and I want to be sure that each person only gets one email per day instead of 40-50 emails at the same time. Is there a setting somewhere to force grouping of update requests?

• I found a potential solution for this issue: If I use a custom message the recipient gets separate emails for each row even if they are sent at exactly the same time and contain exactly the same custom message.

If I remove the custom message, only one email for all update requests will be send.

• I have a custom message on my update request and my recipient received a generic update request without any message other than "Please update my online sheet." My custom message included fields from each row and none of this came through in the update request that was sent. Has anyone else encountered this?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Beverly Brandt (CORTAC Group)

Was it more than one update request in the email? Is it set to send right away?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Beverly Brandt I am seeing the same issue. I have a custom message set with my update request but my recipients are getting the Please update my online sheet along with the Open Update Form button. The problem is, I have the update request set to only include 3 fields, none of which identify the student they need to update. The identifying information for the student is included in my message, using

Good day Professor {{INSTRUCTOR_NAME}},

{{FIRST_NAME}} {{LAST_NAME}} ({{RAM_ID}}) has requested to be reinstated into {{SUBJ_CODE}} {{COURSE_NUMBER}}, with CRN {{CRN}}.

The reason I do not include the fields for the name and ID is that I do NOT want the recipient to be able to update those fields. Those fields should never be changed. This is a MAJOR issue and makes this process unusable if it doesn't send the detailed custom message with each update request.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Frank Malinowski

I hope you're well and safe!

This is probably why you're getting them combined in one message. Can you make changes, so it doesn't trigger more than six rows?

Placeholders will generate separate notifications when using placeholders with Alert or Update Request actions in change-based workflows if six or fewer rows are triggered simultaneously. If seven or more rows are triggered at once, the custom subject and body will be removed.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• HI @Andrée Starå - I just had the same issues as Frank in this string. Can you explain what the placeholder is and how it works?

I have request for update workflow triggered daily when rows are added from another sheet.

Thanks,

Nichole

• Marco Moura
    Marco Moura ✭✭✭

Oh, finally I understood why today I got a request for 8 records in a single email, and yesterday I got 2 in separate emails.

If seven or more rows are triggered at once, the custom subject and body will be removed.

Actually this rule is a problem for me. Is there a way to get rid of this rule, or to increase that number?

I do need to send separate emails for updates, no matter how many. How to solve it?

Thanks!