How can I copy data from just a few columns to another sheet?

Options

I have a large sheet where I would like to copy the data from just 7 columns to another sheet once the data in one of the columns matches the criteria needed.

For example:

Copy the data from the following columns to NewSheet once the Group column says October 2021.

Position Accepted, ID, FName, LName, Instructor, Email, Group

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ruth Schoonover,

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds 

• You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.
    • Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would any of those options work/help? 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ruth Schoonover
    Options

Vlookup might work. I really want the new sheet data to be pulled/updated from the main sheet instead of a helper sheet to make sure any updates are reflected in both sheets.

I'll research vlookup. I've never used that before.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ruth Schoonover

Excellent!

I'd recommend using INDEX/MATCH if possible because it's more secure and flexible.

The structure would be something like this.

=INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}; MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch@row; 
    {ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}; 0))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

More info.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!