Improvements to Help, Activity Log, Branding, and Navigation

Shaine Greenwood
Shaine Greenwood Employee
edited 08/30/17 in General Announcements

We’re releasing a new update this evening (June 20th), here’s what to look out for:

• In-line Formula Help—Quickly see syntax for formulas as you type them in a cell. We’ve also revamped our Functions content in the Help Center, which you can find at https://help.smartsheet.com/functions

• Activity Log—View the Activity Log of reports and Sights. Check out the Activity Log article for more information.

• Header Flip—Logo on the left and Account settings on the right. We’ve also changed how logos are resized in Smartsheet, but you may not need to do anything to your logo to get the same quality. Check out the Colors and Logo article for tips on how to make your logo look great in Smartsheet.

• Org Branding Controls—SysAdmins will be able to set branding for all users in the plan. Details on this are available in the Global Account Settings article.

• Bread Crumbs—See where a sheet, report, or Smartsheet Sight™ is located by right-clicking the name of the item and selecting Properties. Click on a workspace or folder name in the Properties window to quickly navigate to it.

• Renaming Web Forms to Forms—Small change to the feature name, but functionally the same. (You will not need to do anything for your forms to remain active.)

An overview of new features, plus a list of bugs fixed in this release, will be publicly available later this week on our Release Notes site: https://www.smartsheet.com/release-notes 

You can try out these new features in Smartsheet later today!

Comments

• My suggestion is to include a QR/Barcode scanner to import data on a smartsheet as well as to create data on a QR code. 

My other suggestion is the ability to change the fields in a form depending on what the user selects...  example, I want to create a ticket system and I have a few options in the drop box such as A,B,C.  If the user selects A I would like to ask other questions that differ from B and C.  I love the form feature and it is very useful.  I am looking forward to future updates for the forms. :)

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭

When are we going to get Activity Log available as a widget on Sights?

And when are we going to get one activity log for all of Smartsheet? Or at least let us combine logs into a report to create one activity log instead of checking multiple sheets and reports.

• Hello everyone,

Great feedback on how we can improve Smartsheet! Please submit your enhancement requests directly to our Product team via the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

• Kenyon Bajus
    Kenyon Bajus ✭✭✭✭

I already did. I just want to make sure it gets seen/heard and maybe someday made available. How/why there isn't one master activity log seems like an oversight to me.

If others could also submit this as an enhancement, that would be appreciated.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Everything that was declared in the release was cool, except the "header flip".  It was not a flip... it was a flop!

The header flip was not an "Enhancement" by any stretch of the imagination.  It turned our once informative banners into tiny little icons on the screen that are no longer legible, forcing us to recreate our branding if we actually want people to read the header.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Totally love the idea Ken.  A master log would be great!

Heck, I'd even settle for a workspace level activity log.  We used to have a workspace level view of all of the comments made on the sheets within the workspace, and that was a fantastic way for managers to get a quick overview of what happened on their project for a certain day.  Sadly that functionality was discarded with the comments 'upgrade' and you must read sheet by sheet by sheet to know what happened on a project.  And just forget about trying to get an overview of what happened on your project 15 days ago - you'd have to have a browser window open for every sheet and then scroll to that day on every sheet and then read them together... super tedious.

Here's my vote for workspace or account level activity log +1.