Why are unlicensed users asked to upgrade to Premium?

Rob Hagan
Rob Hagan ✭✭✭
edited 07/01/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi there,

Not sure whether this is request for change or an error in our licensing/configuration, but the unlicensed users in our configuration see a message that reads "You have limited access to Smartsheet. Upgrade to use premium features" whereas the licensed users do not see that message.

We have (we think) a properly licensed implementation of Smartsheet and that allows for a mixture of legitimately licensed and unlicensed users. The latter wonder why they are being asked to upgrade all of the time.

Advice?

Answers

• Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

It is probably worth noting that they are members of our Account with user-ids on our Domain. In Smartsheet terms they only need to be "collaborators" and don't need to be licensed users.

• Adam Kinney
    Adam Kinney ✭✭✭✭

Agree, it has been a deterrent to my fellow associates that I am hoping will want to implement Smartsheet and puts me in a hard position as the current key stakeholder for the company.

• Rob Hagan
    Rob Hagan ✭✭✭

It would assist our understanding if smartsheet could post a response into this thread with some rationale as to why the system is configured as it is. Thx Rob.

• JSanita
    JSanita ✭✭✭✭

Agree. I am in the process of deciding on using this product. We do have an enterprise license and would like a number of collaborators and viewers to use my configuration. In an effort to streamline a process. If they are bombarded with emails asking for them to get a premium license it will be negative feedback on the new process.

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is something we're experiencing with deploying Smartsheet for a government-level-enterprise organization right now. The amount of license request pop-ups is making this government entity reconsider. We made training material on how to dismiss these.

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• I would like to see Smartsheet post an answer here as well. We utilize the Enterprise program, and the collaboration of unlicensed users to our field teams. We often have to field questions and assist field teams with this problem, which is time consuming and inconvenient. This takes away from the efficiency of the program.

• SeanPM
    SeanPM ✭✭✭

Also cast my vote on this. It instantly adds confusion on even a small roll out.

• Dave Lyons
    Dave Lyons ✭✭✭

I would like to see Smartsheet post an answer here as well. We have Enterprise licensing and at this level should have the option to turn this request off. We have over 400+ users and the constant request we get for licenses, as others have stated, that are not going to be granted is bothersome at best.

To management and end users this really appears to be up sell technique used by Smartsheet marketing and at the Enterprise level is not a good look

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It got to the point I created an email rule to move them into another folder and ignore. Worst part of being an admin is that stupid green update button shown to every non-licensed user.

I would suggest an option to display a custom message rather than email the admin. Tell people to "request via their manager/supervisor"

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree this needs to be removed.

We have an Enterprise license and was constantly getting requests, especially from new users.

I now have to send an email before I add them to ask them not to do it.

It is extremely annoying.

SmartSheet, please remove this big green button.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• L Thrasher
    L Thrasher ✭✭✭

I agree - this bar is confusing to my team that doesn't need a license and makes on boarding a bit difficult. It also shows up in dashboards when in presentation mode and makes the clean dashboard look silly.

• Keeping this thread / request alive. I would also like to see this removed as it just creates more work for Smartsheet system admins to continue to review unnecessary requests coming from users who truly do not need a license.