Is there a way to show only the specific fields that have been checked in automation messages?

I currently have a Form set up that provides options when onboarding a new employee. There are recommended and optional options for each selection, because of this I end up with "duplicate" columns which make the Form look and function amazingly.

The issue I'm having is that I would like only the checked (☑) selections in the yellow fields would be shown in the "New Hire Needs..." email. Is there a way to do that without creating an automation and sending a message for each individual checked field?

I have 10-20 checked options per new hire. That's a lot of emails.

Tags:

Answers

• Or in other words, since Call Center (checked) is actually checked (☑), can the other 3 fields be hidden even though I added them in the "Links to sheet and specific fields" option? Only show these specific fields IF they are checked kind of thing.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/15/21

Hi @David MacKay

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to hide specific fields automatically, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add multiple Alerts for the different scenarios
    • Use the Placeholder feature instead and make it Dynamic from the sheet (only include the fields that are checked)

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I've tried a couple of variations where in the example below I had it set with 16 automations to show each option as an output, but I have way more than just those 4, so that's too much. I have also been tasked with sending as minimal emails as possible, so a list is better than multiple individual emails, which is so much cleaner and easier to manage as multiple tasks.

Now as far as the placeholder though, wouldn't that have a similar output as the highlighted email up above?

Call Center (checked) {{Call Center (checked)}}

Call Center (unchecked) {{Call Center (unchecked)}}

Locker (checked) {{Locker (checked)}}

Locker (unchecked) {{Locker (unchecked)}}

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/15/21

@David MacKay

No, we could have the different options set in the sheet only to show those with any value populated.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå Kind of, but I'm not sure I know how. Can you show me an example of what you mean? I think what you are saying is the exact solution I am looking for.