Email changes to name when transferred

I have a formula in my spreadsheet to "join" several cells together. The individual cells are emails and they do no have more than one cell with data.

SOMETIMES, the email changes to a "First Last" name format when it reads it in the "Current Gate 2 Owner" cell, but not always and there is no pattern that we can tell. How do we keep it as an email address?? The column is set up as a contact list (email). The problem is that there are dynamic views and automation emails that do not recognize it when it converts to "First Last" name format. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Andrew Stills
    Andrew Stills ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you put some fictional data in this table so we see specifically what you are looking for?

Andrew

He who fails to plan is planning to fail. - Winston Churchill

• Amy Bedard
    Amy Bedard ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an example with my name. 1) I will select my email address. 2) It still shows in that field as an email address. 3) It does NOT carry over as an email address but a name. This only happens maybe 5% of the time and is not predictable. Most of the time it stays as an email address. And...Current Gate 2 Owner column is set up as a Contact List.

If I catch it and copy/paste my email address from somewhere else, it works and doesn't convert to a name.

I thought it was only happening to me because I'm the owner (or something) and it wanted to predict who I am but one of the Admins reported that she is seeing it also with other people.

• Is the column format of contact list needed for some of the automation functionality or could you just use a Text format and input the email addresses?

--

Brandon Berg

Sr. Program Manager / Business Operations

• Amy Bedard
    Amy Bedard ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. An "alert someone" email gets set to them and they also access from their dynamic view.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!