Using Calendar App and JIRA Connector to build a Release Calendar

I am using the Calendar App to create a release calendar that tracks all our releases along with their respective critical path milestones. I would like to dynamically include the Jira Epics and stories that correspond to each release using the SS Jira Connector. These stories will thereby represent the planned release scope.

When a new release is identified, a new row is added to the sheet and user stories are tagged using the Fix Version in Jira.

Is there a way that I can I pick up the new row value containing the release name and pass it to my Jira workflow that retrieves all the stories tagged for that release? I would prefer to pass that value through some variable rather than hard coding it into the Jira workflow.

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Maria Gonzalez

If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes this should be possible. If you map a field (such as epic link) then that will put a common value for all tasks that have the same parent epic.

Then in the Calendar App configuration, you can set colour by column (page 5) to be the epic link column. This will mean that all of the tasks that have the same epic will be coloured the same on the calendar.

If this isn't what you're looking to do, it would be helpful to see some screen capture illustrations, but please block out any sensitive data!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve - Just to clarify my question, when a new row is added in my release scope sheet, it only identifies the release name (e.g., XXX-#.#).

What I would like to do is read the value that has been entered in the release name column and pass it to the JIRA workflow that I have created without having to manually change the JQL for the release name.

I can get everything to work but it's all manual unfortunately. I am looking to see if there is a way to automate everything so that once a new release is entered, I automatically pull the Epics/User stories in scope.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Maria Gonzalez

Thank you for explaining further, however I'm still not quite clear about your set-up.

If you are wanting to pull existing values from Jira into Smartsheet, based on Smartsheet grid data, then this is currently not possible. For example, we wouldn't be able to dynamically update the Jira Connector filter based on information entered in Smartsheet.

However you could pull the full set of Jira issues, then use Smartsheet formulas or DataMesh to gather the "in scope" data from that master Jira sheet into another sheet. Would this work for you?

If I've misunderstood what you're describing again, would you be able to post screen captures of your set-up?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Maria Gonzalez
    edited 09/16/21

Hi @Genevieve P. -

I think you answered my question with your comment:

"we wouldn't be able to dynamically update the Jira Connector filter based on information entered in Smartsheet."

However, I was able to come up with a revised JQL that I can use in the Jira connector filter to use wildcards and pull new release items as long as they follow the agreed upon naming convention.

There may be a better way, so, here is quick summary of my setup:

1. Release Calendar sheet: List of all the releases, overall status, objectives, release owners, and hyperlink to release scope
    2. Release Scope sheet contains the results of the JIRA Connector JQL that pulls all the Epics/Stories that have been tagged with specific Fix Version. I've created filters that correspond to each release type to filter results.
    3. Release Dashboard that pulls in the Release Calendar App with Release details with Epics/stories corresponding to each release.
  • Apologies for partial posting earlier 🙄Here are additional details:

Release Scope Sheet

Release Dashboard

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Maria Gonzalez

My apologies for the delay in response!

Yes, I think your solution is potentially the best way to set this up. I'm glad you were able to get something working!