Start Date and End Date Form Entry Restrictions?

Good Morning,

I know this is purely for cosmetic purposes in terms of putting the correct date in start and end.

However, I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem using logic tab in the form section.

My Users keep currently getting confused and putting there "End date" as the "Start Date" and the Start Date as the End date.. which is screwing up when I export to excel from Smartsheet. Is there anyway to restrict them or give them a message if the Start Date is before the End Date?

So if Start Date is "12/25/2021" and End Date is "12/24/2021" how can I get it to display " Your start date cannot be before your end date" or prevent them from doing this?

Thank you! :-)

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AusKee

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use the Form Logic feature only to show the Start Date until selected and then show the End Date.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Naveen
    Naveen ✭✭

Hello Andree, The challenge is users are doing the stress test.

They select the Start Date and then Form shows the End Date but they select End Date value Less than Start Date.

example :

user Selected Start Date : 1st September 2022 then form shows the End Date to select

and they some times selects like 30th August which is less than Select Date value ... how can we restrict this.

form should throw a message to select only select older than 1st September and restrict user to do invalid date selection

Can u suggest a fix to it.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Naveen

As Andrée indicated, the form cannot make that evaluation real time.

Some possible workarounds

-Send the user an update request when End Date < Start Date. This will come to them after the form is submitted

-Add a reminder to double check the fields. This can be very passive such as

-help text.

-A little more noticeable using Header/Divider field to pop up after End Date completed, or, add additional checkbox column to make the check that they doublechecked

-Add two more date fields to the sheet and by formula force the minimum of the two dates into the Start Date Helper and maximum of two dates into End Date Helper. This is the most robust of the workarounds. These two fields are what you would send to excel. You could rename the original date fields so that these two additional fields would carry the real column names that you need.

Kelly

• Naveen
    Naveen ✭✭

Thanks @Kelly Moore , I shall do the same.