Contact Card email address fo automation

Hi All,

I have a sheet where customers send a submission and get automated emails with field data that they submitted. I want to provide details of the assignee of their submission but want to provide the assignees email address stated on their contact card - is there any way of doing this?

I currently grab field data by using double curly brackets but I assume that might not work here?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @MHuggs

You're correct - if you're storing the assignee as a Contact in a Contact Column, then the curly brackets would return the Name (the text on top of the email) versus the email address of the Contact. You'd need to have a separate column in your sheet set as a Text/Number column which identifies the email address in order to display that in your alert. Please let our Product team know about your specific use-case and request by filling in this form, here!

One way to bring in that email address would be to have a second reference sheet which stores the Contact next to their email address. Then you can use an INDEX(MATCH formula to populate the email address automatically as soon as a Contact is assigned in the Assignee column. Would that work for you? Let me know if you need help building the formula and I'm happy to provide screen captures.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @MHuggs

You're correct - if you're storing the assignee as a Contact in a Contact Column, then the curly brackets would return the Name (the text on top of the email) versus the email address of the Contact. You'd need to have a separate column in your sheet set as a Text/Number column which identifies the email address in order to display that in your alert. Please let our Product team know about your specific use-case and request by filling in this form, here!

One way to bring in that email address would be to have a second reference sheet which stores the Contact next to their email address. Then you can use an INDEX(MATCH formula to populate the email address automatically as soon as a Contact is assigned in the Assignee column. Would that work for you? Let me know if you need help building the formula and I'm happy to provide screen captures.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve,

I would like to take you up on the offer for the formula. :)

I have a column that is an email address via a form. Once we complete the request on the form, I would like to use the automation to send an email to the email address in that column. So far, when I select the 'alert someone' workflow, it only allows the fields from a Contact Column.

Will your formula, help me achieve sending an email to an entered email address?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Janelle_Hogan

It sounds like your users are entering emails into a Text/Number column, is that correct? If so you'll need to translate that email over into a Contact Column so the workflow can identify it as an email and not just text.

Try entering a formula like this into a new Contact Column:

=[Email Column]@row

My suggestion above would require a reference sheet created in Smartsheet where every possible Contact was listed, first as a Contact, next as an Email. If you have a reference sheet like this, you could use a formula to pull the correct Contact type of value based on the matching email address.

Does that make sense?