Count If from Roll Up

Virginian
Virginian ✭✭
edited 10/14/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

I am trying to count the number of occurrences of certain keywords from a sheet column into a rollup. I cannot seem to get the formulas right. Error coming up as #UNPARSEABLE

Keyword "HHS", Sheet Name "25", Column Name "Funding Agency"

=COUNTIF({25 Range 1}[Funding Agency]:[Funding Agency], "HHS")

A little additional context, the agency acronym is usually embedded in the larger block of text within the column --> National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (HHS - NIH)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags:

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Virginian 

Yes what you define as a variable the formula will use it to count. for your sample the formula will be:

=COUNTIFS({25 Range 1}, @cell = "National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences")

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Virginian
    Virginian ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Bassam Khalil Thank you! You helped me understand the larger picture.

Here is the formula that resulted for this use case: =COUNTIFS({25 Range 1}, CONTAINS("HHS", @cell))

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Virginian

Hope you are fine, if you try to count in the same sheet then the formula will be:

=COUNTIFS([Funding Agency]:[Funding Agency], @cell = "HHS")

the following screenshot shows the result:

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/14/21

Hi @Virginian

If you try to make cross sheet formula then the formula will be:

=COUNTIFS({25 Range 1}, @cell = "HHS")

{25 Range 1} is the range of Funding Agency of the data sheet.

PMP Certified

• @Bassam Khalil - thanks for your help! The formula appears to execute now, however, it is just showing 0 for all values. Does it matter the agency acronym is usually embedded in a larger block of text within the column -->Example: National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (HHS - NIH)

• Also clarifying the formula provided does work if I provide the full name, like listed in the above example. So it must need to parse it to isolate "HHS"?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Virginian 

Yes what you define as a variable the formula will use it to count. for your sample the formula will be:

=COUNTIFS({25 Range 1}, @cell = "National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences")

PMP Certified

• Virginian
    Virginian ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Bassam Khalil Thank you! You helped me understand the larger picture.

Here is the formula that resulted for this use case: =COUNTIFS({25 Range 1}, CONTAINS("HHS", @cell))

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Virginian 

Excellent, i will be happy to help you any time.and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!