Control Center Summary Sheet Designate Existing Column

Options

I'm working on repurposing an old, underused summary sheet into another, different summary sheet. It's hooked up to the same blueprint and will use some of the same columns that already exist, but I'll have to add new ones. I've been adding those columns to the summary sheet directly to try and get an idea of what it will look like and I was wondering if, when setting up the new summary sheet via control center, I can choose to connect the fields to an existing column or if I have to create a new column [and therefore delete the old ones].

We have quite a lot of jobs in the system, so doing it via Control Center is a necessity. So can I choose an existing column when creating a new field on the summary sheet or not?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 10/19/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nik Fuentes

As long as the column names match exactly what you have set up in your Profile Data, then it will automatically sync to the correct column! It will only create a new column if there isn't one currently in your Summary sheet with the correct name.

See: Smartsheet Control Center: Set Up a Blueprint Summary Sheet for more details.

For example, say I add a NEW COLUMN to my new Summary Sheet:

In order to populate this information, I also have to set up my Profile Data to ensure there's a field with the exact same title, matching this column.

I have this blueprint folder, with a Tasks sheet:

I'll add a new row to the Tasks sheet and call it NEW COLUMN (yellow row), using the exact same characters and text as my new column name:

This new row now appears in my Blueprint in SCC under Profile Data Selection:

I can select this, and use it in my Blueprint Summary:

Since the text matches between both the Profile Data and the Column Name, it will use the current column in my Summary sheet to populate data.

If I had used different text when creating a column in the Summary sheet (ex. "TEST" instead of "NEW COLUMN"), then it would create a column with "NEW COLUMN" as the name, and I'd need to delete out the test columns I had used.

Does that make sense? Essentially whether or not the column will be used has to do with the text identified in your Profile Data and the Blueprint Summary.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 10/19/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nik Fuentes

As long as the column names match exactly what you have set up in your Profile Data, then it will automatically sync to the correct column! It will only create a new column if there isn't one currently in your Summary sheet with the correct name.

See: Smartsheet Control Center: Set Up a Blueprint Summary Sheet for more details.

For example, say I add a NEW COLUMN to my new Summary Sheet:

In order to populate this information, I also have to set up my Profile Data to ensure there's a field with the exact same title, matching this column.

I have this blueprint folder, with a Tasks sheet:

I'll add a new row to the Tasks sheet and call it NEW COLUMN (yellow row), using the exact same characters and text as my new column name:

This new row now appears in my Blueprint in SCC under Profile Data Selection:

I can select this, and use it in my Blueprint Summary:

Since the text matches between both the Profile Data and the Column Name, it will use the current column in my Summary sheet to populate data.

If I had used different text when creating a column in the Summary sheet (ex. "TEST" instead of "NEW COLUMN"), then it would create a column with "NEW COLUMN" as the name, and I'd need to delete out the test columns I had used.

Does that make sense? Essentially whether or not the column will be used has to do with the text identified in your Profile Data and the Blueprint Summary.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see, thank you