Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Live Data Connector Reverse Upload

Brett Wallace
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have the data connector up and running. I am able to have it take info from Smartsheets and put it into excel. This is awesome because one I press refresh it updates everything in that excel file. The only question I have is, is there anyway that the data can be updated into smartsheets if I change it in excel?

We have a lot of VLOOKUP stuff in our excel, but we want to use Smartsheets for our overall project management, but we need it to essentially take info from our connected excel sheet and have it update our smartsheet when I refresh that page. 

Is this possible?

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brett

The only way we know you can achieve this effect is if you implement Appsheet alongside Smartsheet, which opens up a whole new range of ways that extend the functionality of Smartsheet and our clients are really picking this up an running with it. 

By connecting tables in Smartsheet with Excel and Google sheets we end up with Conditional Logic not available in a flat sheet. 

Happy to demo these solutions if interested and while there is a cost it is low. 

Hope that helps

RichardR

• By using this, wont I have to be using another website/app? This would make our group use 3 different apps, or websites to update one file. I don't want to complicate things, I just wanted to see if there was an easy way to have my data from excel go straight into my smartsheet without have to export it each time.

• Hi Richard, is there anyway we could email, or talk about how this apps works?

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Brett, I have replied to your direct mail suggesting times for a demo, but to answer your question directly, I share your concern about "too many Apps" to update which would be no better than many of the systems we are replacing that demand duplicate entries. 

Absolutely not what any of us need.

The way Appsheet with Smartsheet and Excel work together, is each Person or Group of people have just one user interface only, whichever suits their role/purpose, the clever stuff goes on it the background. The only person who would access more than one view would be YOU who monitors the system.

It was Smartsheet themselves who alerted us to this solution some 18 months ago and we love it. There is an short explanatory video overvoiced by my colleague Craig Williams of community fame! 

http://smarterbusinessprocesses.com/appsheet/

Hope that explains? 

Richardr

This discussion has been closed.