To make the Row ID (SmartSheet) reads its value from (Service Request #) column

After diving deeper in SmartSheet we notice that each row has an auto-generated ID to identify it, but to us what’s more important is our unique Id which is pre-created by our system (Service Request #), we have this unique number stored in specific column with unique value for each row in the sheet.

So our question is there any way to make the Row ID (SmartSheet) reads its value from (Service Request #) column. if so this will make the integration faster and easier especially on Update requests and it will avoid some back and forth API calls.

Thank you for your time and effort, this is all related to an API connection that we want to make.

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@eduardoleyva007 Not sure why you even care about SmartSheet's auto-generated row ID for this specific application.

Can you not just put your service request # into a column and then reference that with the API you are using? The API should look for the column ID, and find the service request # in that column.

dm

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭

To answer the question you have posted: there is no way to override the value for each unique Row ID.

You'll need to utilize the method Dale suggested, which is a lookup of the ColumnID of your "Service Request #" column, then find the applicable value, which will find the Row ID. Does that make sense?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!