The difference between Limited and Restricted

Options

Hello, I am hoping someone can really explain (over explain) the difference between Limited and Restricted permissions in sheet level automation workflows. I can see how Smartsheet defines it:

• Restricted (Default)—Only people who can view the sheet and have logged in to Smartsheet previously will be notified.
  • Limited—People who are in your Smartsheet account as well as people that can view the sheet from within Smartsheet will be notified.

But I do not understand what this means. What do they mean by Smartsheet account? The corporate account? Anyone with access to our corporate account?

Sheet level access I understand... or I think do. That sounds like anyone I have "shared" the sheet with, but what is meant by logged into Smartsheet previously... does that mean that if I have shared the sheet with someone, but if they have never used the corporate account, they will never be notified?

I assume "people who can view the sheet" are people I have shared it with. Correct?

I would like the permissions to be set for notifying only the people that I have shared the sheet with, and if they have never used Smartsheet before, I would like them to be prompted to use it. Is that possible?

Best Answer

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @CaseyG

"What do they mean by Smartsheet account? The corporate account? Anyone with access to our corporate account?"

• Smartsheet Account = Company's Smartsheet account. If the users were added as members in the Admin Center by the System Admins in your company's account, these users are the ones who are in your Smartsheet account.

"Sheet level access I understand... or I think do. That sounds like anyone I have "shared" the sheet with, but what is meant by logged into Smartsheet previously... does that mean that if I have shared the sheet with someone, but if they have never used the corporate account, they will never be notified?"

• When you share a user to a sheet & they have never logged into Smartsheet before, they will be notified to be invited to setup a password to allow to see the sheet.

"I assume "people who can view the sheet" are people I have shared it with. Correct?"

• That is correct. People who can view the sheet are the people you have given sharing permission level access to (Admin, Editor, Viewer)

I would like the permissions to be set for notifying only the people that I have shared the sheet with, and if they have never used Smartsheet before, I would like them to be prompted to use it. Is that possible?

• There's a difference with the Restricted & Limited Permissions because these are set for the automation workflows that are being created. When you share a user to a sheet & they have never logged into Smartsheet before, they will receive an email to be invited to setup a password so they can access the sheet. Depending if they are an Admin, Editor or Viewer will determine what they can and cannot do in the sheet. If they've never logged in before, they will not receive it which is why you would want to share them first to the sheet so the next time an automated workflow triggers, they'll get notified.
    • With the Restricted & Limited, this is in regards to automations. For example, if you setup an automation to send people an email when something in the sheet gets changed/updated, then the email will be sent to people based on the Restricted or Limited.
      • Restricted - Only people who can view the sheet and have logged in to Smartsheet previously will be notified via Email. If they've never logged in before, they will not receive it which is why you would want to share them first to the sheet so the next time an automated workflow triggers, they'll get notified. They will also get notified with the notification bell in the notification center that is located on the left navigation panel. Any email addresses will receive an email as long as they are shared to the sheet & they've logged into Smartsheet before.
      • Limited - People who are in your Smartsheet account as well as people that can view the sheet from within Smartsheet will be notified. Similar as Restricted but the email addresses that will receive an email will be the ones who are in your Company's account.

Visit the link below for more information.

If I misunderstood or need more information, let me know or you can reach out to our Smartsheet Support on this topic.

Cheers~

Krissia

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @CaseyG

"What do they mean by Smartsheet account? The corporate account? Anyone with access to our corporate account?"

• Smartsheet Account = Company's Smartsheet account. If the users were added as members in the Admin Center by the System Admins in your company's account, these users are the ones who are in your Smartsheet account.

"Sheet level access I understand... or I think do. That sounds like anyone I have "shared" the sheet with, but what is meant by logged into Smartsheet previously... does that mean that if I have shared the sheet with someone, but if they have never used the corporate account, they will never be notified?"

• When you share a user to a sheet & they have never logged into Smartsheet before, they will be notified to be invited to setup a password to allow to see the sheet.

"I assume "people who can view the sheet" are people I have shared it with. Correct?"

• That is correct. People who can view the sheet are the people you have given sharing permission level access to (Admin, Editor, Viewer)

• There's a difference with the Restricted & Limited Permissions because these are set for the automation workflows that are being created. When you share a user to a sheet & they have never logged into Smartsheet before, they will receive an email to be invited to setup a password so they can access the sheet. Depending if they are an Admin, Editor or Viewer will determine what they can and cannot do in the sheet. If they've never logged in before, they will not receive it which is why you would want to share them first to the sheet so the next time an automated workflow triggers, they'll get notified.
    • With the Restricted & Limited, this is in regards to automations. For example, if you setup an automation to send people an email when something in the sheet gets changed/updated, then the email will be sent to people based on the Restricted or Limited.
      • Restricted - Only people who can view the sheet and have logged in to Smartsheet previously will be notified via Email. If they've never logged in before, they will not receive it which is why you would want to share them first to the sheet so the next time an automated workflow triggers, they'll get notified. They will also get notified with the notification bell in the notification center that is located on the left navigation panel. Any email addresses will receive an email as long as they are shared to the sheet & they've logged into Smartsheet before.
      • Limited - People who are in your Smartsheet account as well as people that can view the sheet from within Smartsheet will be notified. Similar as Restricted but the email addresses that will receive an email will be the ones who are in your Company's account.

Visit the link below for more information.

If I misunderstood or need more information, let me know or you can reach out to our Smartsheet Support on this topic.

Cheers~

Krissia