Sorting & Filtering Linked Cells From Source Sheet

Bill
Bill
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am unable to figure out how to sort and filter linked cells from the source sheet.

I have a sheet with cell links which needs to be sorted or filtered when the source sheet is sorted or filtered. I am unable to use a report or dashboard for this function due to the need for a specific layout, exporting and printing.

The source sheet has a text column of 'Unit Numbers', the other columns are primarily date columns and text columns. The links start on Row 30 below other links which do not need to filter or sort. Some of the other columns are/can be formulas.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Bill,

Have you thought about using a report instead?

Two other methods could be to add a so-called helper column and sort by that or use a filter.

Would any of those options work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée,

Thank you for the timely response. Unfortunately I cannot use a report as it needs to be laid out like a dashboard. However, I cannot use a dashboard due to needing a specific print style which a normal sheet will provide and one of the source sheets will not format properly in a dashboard for our needs. 

I am needing the linked sheet to filter with the source sheet, currently if I filter the source sheet the linked sheet won't filter. The linked sheet should be a read-only sheet.

I have also tried a helper column to link the sheets with formulas.

Would screenshots or sharing the sheets help?

Thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Screenshots always help!

How many rows/columns do you want to link from the source sheet?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you Andrée. I have shared the three sheets with you. 

The sheet 'Weekly Schedule' and 'Unit Metrics' need to be combined into the 'Client Report' sheet.

Linking as many rows as possible would work best, but 250 rows might work.

The PM will update the 'Weekly Schedule' sheet, filter and sort as needed. 

They then need to export the 'Client Report' via Excel and/or PDF.

The 'Client Report' is a combination of the 'Unit Metrics' and 'Weekly Schedule'. When the 'Weekly Schedule' is sorted or filtered, the Weekly portion on the 'Client Report' needs to mimic the sorted or filtered Weekly sheet.

The format of the Unit Metrics on top of the Weekly needs to stay the same in the Client Report.

Thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

I'll take a look and get back to you!

• Cory Strischek
    Cory Strischek ✭✭✭✭

Hi @andreeateban and @Bill -- wondering if you found a solution to this issue. This post comes up first in Google for a bunch of my queries.

I have a number of needs for and have submitted enhancement requests for the ability to filter, sort, report based on the whether a row has linked-in data.

Andree, you mentioned a helper formula one could use. Can you explain that here?

Otherwise, the only property I've been able to use has been Created By or Modified By automated columns showing cell-link@smartsheet.com which isn't always indicative of cell-linking on the row. For example, a row could have one column's cell linked-in, but another column not, like a roll-up column's value.

Task Name | Start Date | % Complete

Task name could be linked in from another and even Start Date and % Complete ... but if the row has children or the author touches something else in the row that is not linked-in, I believe that wipes out cell-link@smartsheet.com from the Modified By column. And, I'm not sure how Created By gets populated this way.

Do you have any more info on this?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cory Strischek

I hope you're well and safe!

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!