SUMIF Formula Not Working for column with #'s but working with text..

My sumif formula is not working with a numeric value but it is working on a text value..

Here is my formula that is not working:

Sheet Referencing:

SAP WBSE is the same as Proj. Def. column. I'm asking it to return the Ovr Commit column, essentially 64,345.03 but it's returning 0 but when I sum it on the description column it works.

Is this a common issue?

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭

, =[SAP WBSE]@row,

Does that work?

• Hi - unfortunately that did not resolve it.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @melissa.trinh

What column types are you matching across? It looks like the Proj. Def column in your source sheet is perhaps a Primary Column, is that correct? If so, you'll need to ensure that the [SAP WBSE] column is also the Primary to match across sheets, or that both are Text/Number.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hello,

thank you for getting back to me on this.

Project Definition is not my primary column. Another field called Object is my primary column in the source sheet.

Initiative Name is my primary column on my target sheet. All fields are text/number data types.

Is your statement above actually true because I was able to do a SUMIF with initiative name(primary column) and project definition(not primary column) in my target sheet.

I just need to do a sumif based on the ID because the name of the project may change.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @melissa.trinh

My apologies, I should have clarified. It can make a difference if the values are purely numerical, as the Primary Column sometimes reads these numbers as text instead of numerical.

I can see in your screen capture that the number is appearing on the Left of the cell, which means it's being read as a text value. Do the numbers in your current sheet appear on the Left or the Right?

How are your Proj. Def. numbers being input, is it from a formula or is it done manually?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!