Allocation % column calc does it work with Legacy Resource Management?

t_stoudermire17
edited 11/24/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Allocation % column calc does it work with Legacy Resource Management? I added an Alloction % column but not sure how it should work and where I set team members capacity. Do we have to have Resource Management to accomplish this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @t_stoudermire17

Yes, allocation in Smartsheet is different than MS Project. If someone is 80% allocated to that task, they can take on another task at 20% on those same days. The Duration is completely separate and will not adjust with the allocation.

"Allocation is the percentage of each day that resources should devote to a particular task."

So in the case you mention above, you could set up two rows (each with 4hr duration) and assign the same user at 100% allocation for each row, or one row at 2d and 50% allocation. However then this person will show in your Resource Management as having 50% available time... so if 50% of that task is the entirety of their available time you will want to put the default 100% Allocation for the 2day task, showing they can't be assigned anything else at that time.

Here's the article on Tracking and allocating resources.

I will note that there's a reason this is a Legacy feature. If you're looking to track resources, I would recommend looking into the application Resource Management by Smartsheet (formerly called 10,000ft).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @t_stoudermire17

Yes, you can set up an Allocation % column in your Project sheet when you're using the Legacy Smartsheet resource management! You'll want to ensure that after adding the new column your your sheet you've selected it from the Project Settings window, here:

By default, Smartsheet assumes tasks require 100% of the assigned resources’ day when you assign a task to resources. You can adjust this percentage by entering a new value into the cell. See: Legacy Resource Management and allocation

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks Genevieve. I am also asking if there is a way to assign Resource Allocation % at the person or role level in Legacy Resource Mgmt so that you do not have to manually change the allocation value i.e. Jane Doe is 60% as a Developer, Jim Smith is 52% as a Business Analyst, etc. so wherever they are assigned the allocation automatically is set based on their name or role? Where is that set? Does this have to be done in Resource Management?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @t_stoudermire17

% Allocation is a manual addition, there isn't a setting in the Legacy Resource Management to automatically assign only a specific percent of a task to someone. It will default to 100%, then you'll have to manually change it from this.

However, there is an automatic Change Cell Workflow in Smartsheet which can input data into a cell based off a condition in another cell. You could set this up so that when there's a change or addition in the Assigned To column, whoever contact is will make the workflow put a specific percent in the Allocation Column, like so:

Keep in mind that if I was only allocated 70% of the task then you will want a second row with the same Task Name and Dates, identifying what resource is taking the leftover 30% of the task.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I think that I might be looking at Allocation % wrong. I thought Allocation = Capacity. What I need are two values actually: Work and Capacity by roles or person. Example: Task work will take 8 hours as estimated by the developer. The developers capacity availability is 50% for this project. In MS Project it would calculate the duration to complete the task (based on work * capacity) . Example: Task 1 takes 8 hours, but I only have 50% of any day (8 hour calendar day) to give to this task as a Developer, therefore the duration to complete the task is 2 days. I want to be able to enter that 8 hours of work and capacity availability get calc duration. Thats where I was going asking the Allocation question.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @t_stoudermire17

Yes, allocation in Smartsheet is different than MS Project. If someone is 80% allocated to that task, they can take on another task at 20% on those same days. The Duration is completely separate and will not adjust with the allocation.

"Allocation is the percentage of each day that resources should devote to a particular task."

So in the case you mention above, you could set up two rows (each with 4hr duration) and assign the same user at 100% allocation for each row, or one row at 2d and 50% allocation. However then this person will show in your Resource Management as having 50% available time... so if 50% of that task is the entirety of their available time you will want to put the default 100% Allocation for the 2day task, showing they can't be assigned anything else at that time.

Here's the article on Tracking and allocating resources.

I will note that there's a reason this is a Legacy feature. If you're looking to track resources, I would recommend looking into the application Resource Management by Smartsheet (formerly called 10,000ft).

Cheers,

Genevieve