Stuck on a formula

Hello,

I'm trying to create a formula that essentially takes a predetermined number and subtracts 2 sets of other numbers (both a sum of column values and then also subtracting a cell number minus a %). Wow, I've just confused myself.

Essentially I'm trying to: =19.2 - SUM([Column23]16-48%) - SUM([Column23]6:[Column23]15) but keep receiving the unpareseable error message.

Thank you in advance for help!

Best Answer

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

I'm still not sure I understand the formula, but for starters you could take the % out of the equation and substitute it with 0.48 (same thing but more readable for the formula) and see what it returns.

Even with this though, I think you're first SUM formula is flawed. If you just want to take the value at [Column23]16 and subtract that by 48% then you don't need the SUM formula. You can do that by just subtracting [Column23]16 - 0.48.

• Erika G
    Erika G ✭✭

Thanks, David. It does like .48 better than 48% but how do I write it so it subtracts 48% from the number? [Column23]16 - 0.48 gives me a number but it's not the percent off. I changed it to [Column23]16*0.48 and that gives me what should be removed but it does not also subtract it.

Ultimately I need 19.2 (this number does not change) minus 48% of the number in [Column23]16 minus the sum of rows 6-15 in Column 23.

• David Tutwiler
    Answer ✓

=19.2 - ([Column23]16*0.48) - SUM([Column23]6:[Column23]15)

• Erika G
    Erika G ✭✭

Wahoo...it worked. Thanks so much!

• David Tutwiler

No problem. Glad it's working for you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!